*Walks in, nods at the locals, heads to the bar

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pope

Regular.
Reaction score
My name's Matt, I'm 27 and I've been living in Huddersfield for nearly two years but I'm originally from Manchester. I started to drink craft beer about a year ago when I ordered Schiehallion craft lager without even knowing what is was. Since then I've been drinking as much craft stuff as I can find. I enjoy IPA's and love Porters, but finding the latter can be quite difficult in pubs/bars.

I'm new to the forum and decided to come on because I am interested in brewing my own beer....the problem is, I've never done it before.

Therefore, I will be using this forum to find out how to do it, what equipment to use and any tips which more experience brewers might have. I'll try my best to use the search tool on the forum, but I might mither for help too...so I apologise in advance and plead for patience.

Welcome, feel free to ask any questions.

My advice would be to start with a beer kit, beer kits are the easiest method of brewing, the unfermented beer is made up for you, all you have to do is add water mix it up and then pitch the yeast and ferment for a couple of weeks before bottling / kegging.

What would you rather do bottle or keg?

Welcome, feel free to ask any questions.

My advice would be to start with a beer kit, beer kits are the easiest method of brewing, the unfermented beer is made up for you, all you have to do is add water mix it up and then pitch the yeast and ferment for a couple of weeks before bottling / kegging.

What would you rather do bottle or keg?

Thanks Covrich, I'll definitely be asking questions.

The first thing I need to find out, is exactly what I need in terms of equipment. I've browsed over a few beginner kits but I don't want to just jump in and buy something, which might turn out to be a waste of time. I've looked at this from Amazon which has got decent reviews:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B00XUONH4E/?tag=skimlinks_replacement-20

I'll be bottling my beer when I make it, which is preference of taste and convenience of transporting it.

Last edited by a moderator:
The first thing I need to find out, is exactly what I need in terms of equipment. I've browsed over a few beginner kits but I don't want to just jump in and buy something, which might turn out to be a waste of time. I've looked at this from Amazon which has got decent reviews:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B00XUONH4E/?tag=skimlinks_replacement-20

Thats a decent enough start. They also do a similar set in Wilkinsons which might be worth a look. While you're in Wilkos, pick up a capper (£10) and some caps (£1 for 50), as if you're bottling, you'll need them. Get mates or the local pub to let you have their empty bottles.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thats a decent enough start. They also do a similar set in Wilkinsons which might be worth a look. While you're in Wilkos, pick up a capper (�£10) and some caps (�£1 for 50), as if you're bottling, you'll need them. Get mates or the local pub to let you have their empty bottles.

Thanks for the tip.

My wife-to-be runs a pub, so I reckon she could sort me out with bottles.

Welcome Pope, I'm sure if you need help your in the right place :) Its easier than you think though! One of my first tips would be make sure everything is clean and sanitised.

happy brewing mate
Jay :)

edit, I'm in Leeds so might want some bottles too :)

Welcome Pope, I'm sure if you need help your in the right place :) Its easier than you think though! One of my first tips would be make sure everything is clean and sanitised.

happy brewing mate
Jay :)

edit, I'm in Leeds so might want some bottles too :)

That's one of the things which I'm not sure about...as silly as it might sound...how do you sanitise stuff?

I go out in Leeds a fair bit, there's a few good bars for decent beer.*

*Edit, so long as I don't mention which football team I support

That's one of the things which I'm not sure about...as silly as it might sound...how do you sanitise stuff?

I go out in Leeds a fair bit, there's a few good bars for decent beer.*

*Edit, so long as I don't mention which football team I support

haha your safe, went off footy in Euro '96!

sanitise, just means clean everything and use a steriliser to sanitise it, when I started I just used Milton tablets the stuff you use for sanitising baby bottles, the problem with that though is you have to rinse it off after. have a look at Starsan, about £12 a bottle but will last you years :)

Cheers
Jay

Latest posts

Back