No Rinse Sanitiser

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ScottE75

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hi folks,

I bought a no rinse sanitiser, sodium percarbonate, for bottling and stuff, but I'm not sure if I need to wait for 1 hour when it turns into oxygen and water. Surely bottling when the sanitiser is still active would be a mistake. Any advice would be great as I've looked for the answer and not found anything conclusive.

Also, when bottling wine is it better to soak corks over night in a sulphite solution, or is there a better way? It's my first time bottling : P

Thanks in advance : )

I don't think Oxi cleaner is a no-rinse steriliser. I thought it was just for cleaning and you still needed to sterilise afterwards?

Agree with notlaw, I thought oxiclean needs to be rinsed and the sanitisation is then done with something else (I use star San).

Sent from my HTC Desire 510 using Tapatalk

Hum. There's a similar product on love to brew website. Sodium percarbonate. Again states the same that it cleans and sanitises with no need to rinse the product as it breaks down Into oxygen and water. Thing is I use oxiclean to clean but still rinse down and the use starsan. OK will need to see what the more knowledgeable members think as I'm newish to the game as well :)

Sent from my HTC Desire 510 using Tapatalk

What about Milton tabs? It says no rinse but I'm not sure when it comes to bottling... Sorry to hijack the thread but I'm about to bottle my first brew tonight too

What about Milton tabs? It says no rinse but I'm not sure when it comes to bottling... Sorry to hijack the thread but I'm about to bottle my first brew tonight too
What I use every time.....after using oxyclean..15 mins and done,one tablet to 5 litres of water and generally keep it if I can still smell the chemical in it

youl be fine mate, as long as u bottle soon as. let me know how they come out to hopefully prove I was right :lol:

Surley that is less safe?
I know what your saying, but I normally use baby sterilizer.

My mate uses star San, so when we brew I just rinse everything anyway.

Without sounding like a tree hugging hippy, I just don't want anything else in my beer ;-)

Star san seems to get the vote, but why is it so damned expensive?

Because people keep buying the stuff :lol:

It is only an acid cleaner with a surfactant in it. I wouldn't be surprised if it was already a line cleaner that they put their name on.

Looking into it I think they just picked a surfactant and patented it with the acid.
You can buy the surfactant here - http://www.stepan.com/products/Surfactants/BIO-SOFT®/BIO-SOFT®-LA-ACID.aspx
And the acid just about anywhere. But as it is a patented product you may not be able to find an exact alternative.

Zep FS acid sanitiser came close - http://www.kellysolutions.com/erene...ANITIZER__1581_8_2_2006_8_30_44_AMSecured.Pdf

But not sure if you can get hold of it now.

Because people keep buying the stuff :lol:

It is only an acid cleaner with a surfactant in it. I wouldn't be surprised if it was already a line cleaner that they put their name on.

Looking into it I think they just picked a surfactant and patented it with the acid.
You can buy the surfactant here - http://www.stepan.com/products/Surfactants/BIO-SOFT®/BIO-SOFT®-LA-ACID.aspx
And the acid just about anywhere. But as it is a patented product you may not be able to find an exact alternative.

Zep FS acid sanitiser came close - http://www.kellysolutions.com/erene...ANITIZER__1581_8_2_2006_8_30_44_AMSecured.Pdf

But not sure if you can get hold of it now.

Neales Brewing Supplies does their own version of it with ask the same ingredients in it. I've just bought some on my way home from work tonight.

Neales Brewing Supplies does their own version of it with ask the same ingredients in it. I've just bought some on my way home from work tonight.

Any better price? Their website wants you to log in before they quote a price.

Star san seems to get the vote, but why is it so damned expensive?

Hi!
If you are on a budget try this no-rinse sanitiser, endorsed by the creator of StarSan:
5 ml cheap bleach in 6.2 litres water, mix well and add 5ml white vinegar (NEVER mix neat bleach and vinegar).

StarSan is expensive but 1) you use only a small amount and 2) once you have a solution it can be re-used many times.

Colin

Latest posts

Back