WineBuddy Fining

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chippy_Tea

Administrator.
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
If they sold this 3 part fiining it would be very popular.
I degassed this wine earlier (you don't rack it off the sediment) so it was as you can imagine a very murky white wine, you add part 1 wait an hour add part 2 then wait another hour then add part 3, that was an hour ago and as you can see most of the sediment has already dropped out and will compact to a third of the size over the next 24 hours.

I normally use KwiK Clear on my non kit wines and thought that was fast, this stuff can do it in half the time.

WB_SEDIMENT.jpg

Hi Chippy,

I have read your other posts on these Young's Winebuddy kits and they are very helpful, thanks. I just added the finings to a Winebuddy sauvignon blanc yesterday and the wine is indeed crystal clear so I was planning to bottle this evening.

My batch has a bit of a funky smell though, like pear drops or some other ester. It tastes better than it smells (drinkable I would say - probably better when cold) but I was wondering if this was your experience and if you the smell dissipates after bottle aging for a bit?

Cheers!

I cannot recall having a bad smell in any of the WB wines i have made, as you have the only thing left to try is leaving it for a while to see if it improves, at least its drinkable so not a total waste of time and money.

Just finished bottling, it may have been my imagination (or just getting used to it) but the ester smell seemed to reduce over time. It wasnt necessarily a bad smell just odd. Ill leave them in the garage for a couple of weeks and see what they are like then.

Possibly of interest: I had a work trip before the wine was finished fermenting so it ended up staying on the lees for about 15 days. When I left for the trip the gravity was 1.004 but when I came back it was 0.988 :shock:. I didnt put any extra fermentables and initial volume was 22L so it was surprising to see the gravity that much lower than the guide of 0.996. There is also still some residual sweetness, so some sugars remain...

Back