Best way to sweeten turbo cider and also how to add flavour

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Klemay83

Reaction score
I've done a few Turbo ciders and 2 of them have had similar issues.

They have both been very bitter after the primary fermentation , and the mango cider I made seems to lack mango flavour.

With the bitterness issue , can I add a sweetener as well as adding my priming sugar to each bottle ?

I usually do at least one rack off of the turbo ciders to take them off the sediment, this is when I taste them and have noticed that the flavour is lacking a bit. Any advice how to add the flavour back to the cider? The raspberry cider I made wasn't too bad, but the Mango one seems to have lost quite a bit of its mango flavour.

For sweetness use yeast with sweetener or add sucralose, or use no added sugar squash, for flavour, use lowicz in fermentation and priming, or use no added sugar squash.

How are you adding the mango/raspberry flavours mate ?

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

For the mango cider I used 3L of apple juice and 1 Litre of Mango juice as well as a tin off mango slices ( pasteurised and mushed up)
The raspberry one I used 3 Litres of apple juice 1 litre of water and 200g of frozen raspberries.

Your best bet is to make a dry apple cider. If you want it a bit sweeter, add apple juice to te glass after pouring from the bottle.. If you want raspberry flavour, add one of the Polish raspberry syrups from the supermarket. There are good strawberry and blackcurrant syrups too.
Mango would be more difficult because it's inherently cloudy and you presumably want a nice clear drink. You could try freezing canned mango pulp into a block and filtering it as it defrosts. This works brilliantly for making a clear tomato soup but I don't know how much mango flavour would be in the liquid.

It doesn't bother me too much if it was a cloudy cider. It's just about trying to retain the flavour. I might try kind of a "dry hop" type of thing with the mango next time I do it. I've also found a mango syrup that is the same make as ones used for coffe, but it's about £10 a bottle.

Latest posts

Back