Alco~Coke

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

davemorton

Reaction score
I have just given this a try, and its been on about 4 weeks now and I believe is fully fermented, i have seen this made on-line and theirs is always clear (see pictures below) where as mine has a pink tinge to it, does anyone have any idea why it might have gone pink please?

e3a7ybyb.jpg

edudare4.jpg

What was your recipe/method Dave ? I tried one of these a short while back and it failed miserably :doh:

What was your recipe/method Dave ? I tried one of these a short while back and it failed miserably :doh:

I used the following recipe...

20L Water
2kg dextrose
Youngs High alcohol Wine Yeast
10g Yeast nutient
Splash of lemon juice

I might try putting it in the garage for a week, incase it is just suspended yeast.

Possibly something to do with the lemon juice.

I thought from the title it was alcoholic cola.

Possibly something to do with the lemon juice.

I thought from the title it was alcoholic cola.

I didnt add the lemon juice until last week to try to re-kickstart fermentation (was only a splash), even though the reading suggest it is fermented.
You add sodastream flavouring when bottling, it was a recipe from this site about 2 years ago, with loads of success stories saying how clear it went, but in all the pages, no ones went pink.

When you add the flavour does it not change the colour?

It should do I am just trying to understand why mine is a pink colour, yet all the pics on the other thread show lovely clear as water liquids (as shown in the pics above).

There must be something that has reacted with the lemon juice.

When making nettle wine it's green all the way up until the point you add lemon juice and it turns pink!

No, it was pink before I added the lemon juice. I added it later on to help the yeast out. I think I might take a bottles worth out, and see if it settles and is just suspended yeast.

No, it was pink before I added the lemon juice. I added it later on to help the yeast out. I think I might take a bottles worth out, and see if it settles and is just suspended yeast.

Try some. If it tastes like rocket fuel, then I'm sure it will do the job. Look out for what I call 'musty old wardrobe smell' when I've had simple wines like this with real flavours as yet. I find it can taint very easily. New rubber bung flavour is the one I hate the most.

Try some. If it tastes like rocket fuel, then I'm sure it will do the job. Look out for what I call 'musty old wardrobe smell' when I've had simple wines like this with real flavours as yet. I find it can taint very easily. New rubber bung flavour is the one I hate the most.

Well I am always up for new taste sensations.

Update
Well, I thought I would just bottle off one bottle to see if the pink tinge was just yeast floating about, and if a week conditioning, then a week in the fridge would clear it.

I pulled enough from the FV to check with the hydrometer and bottle. The reading from the hysrometer says to me (I really dont understand them, but *think I am right) that the yeast has done all it can, and to be fair, when in a bottle, it looks crystal clear, no pink tinge at all. I have primed, and will leave it a week, but am tempted to just bottle it all, and to be fair, its raining so I am bored.

D65639D7-69B4-489D-87D2-0E50F8EDD463_zps8ec9p9re.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

67A5F87C-45AD-4FE1-8B52-4A6EB63DFBB8_zpsveciwr4q.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

1497824E-5285-4417-AC32-39111991E2A2_zpsyosvwh0n.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

Yeh looks like about 0.995 or so which would be about right to get on and bottle, clear isn't it !

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

Yeh looks like about 0.995 or so which would be about right to get on and bottle, clear isn't it !

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

Yeah, I was very pleased with how clear it has gone, almost a shame to spoil its clarity with flavourings, but guess it wont taste too nice as is. Off to get some diet-coke soda steam stuff, and maybe some orange and pineapple squash, although it had crossed my mind to do some small bottles of tonic, as it would save watering the gin down too much :whistle:.

Latest posts

Back