Apples and pears.

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Richie_asg1

Reaction score
Two 5L batches on the go today.

One with:
2x Asda tinned pears in pear juice, Blended.
3x Asda smartprice Apple Juice from concentrate (same on the back as their standard apple juice)
1 tsp Pectolase
1 tsp youngs wine yeast compound.

This will be topped up with water when slowing down & carbonating with golden syrup.

And one plain apple:
4x Asda Smartprice apple juice
1 cup of stewed tea with 2x bags.
1 tsp youngs wine yeast compound.

This will be topped up to the neck with water when slowing, and the first time carbonating with raspberry syrup.

Will bottle in flip top bottles when done.

Will see what happens.

Was wondering why you were posting about 'stairs' on a hb forum hehe 😂

Will be interested to hear how the pear one goes, I'm tempted to make a Perry sort of brew myself

One day in and the pear version has separated into a frothy krausen head on the top. Apple is just starting to form a thin layer of bubbles but not fermenting as strong as the first batch I did with Co-OP apple juice. Maybe something to do with how they packed it or composition delaying the yeast a bit. Airlocks just starting on both.

Maybe it's just brewers nerves waiting for things to get going.

Aye I think the fruit in the pear one will fire it up more rapidly

I find my ciders get going pretty inconspicuously, to the extent that makes me wonder if they've got going at all !

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

5 days in and the apple is bubbling fast. But with the Co-Op juice it was at this stage within a day. To me it shows the yeast has been inhibited in the Asda juice I am using this time.
Pear has slowed a bit so the addition of the pear with less juice got off to a quicker start, again showing there was an inhibitor involved.
Temperature seems a steady 19.5 degrees.

Some bits of the pear foamy crust are just starting to drop to the bottom.

Cor Blimey! Co-Op Apple juice is down ter 35p a box, so I'm fillin me boots!

Just topped up me bottles wiv adams ale and she's bubblin' like barfwater on a gasspipe. :)

Cleaned out our local Co-OP of apple juice. :lol: at 35p a carton. Good till November.

Topped up both apples and pears with cooled boiled water to the necks.
Pear is now starting to clear. Because of the large quantity of solids I want to transfer to a secondary and let it finish in that so is easier to bottle. But I can't remember if I need to add a campden tablet at this stage or just tip it in and strain out solids. :-?

Bottling day today for both. Could have done it sooner but was busy as the weather was so good.
Thunder and lightning today so on with bottling.

FG on the Apple was 1003 and the Pear 1004.

Pear was clear and light, quite flat at this stage. Apple was hazy and had bubbles in the pipe on transfer which was a bit weird as it wasn't under pressure yet.

The apple juice I used was Asda Smart price and this has produced a hazy result. My first attempt used Co-OP juice and this was fine and clear. Good job I stocked up on that as they have dropped the cheap basic juice and put the price up to �£1 for the same thing in a pretty carton :(

In the pear recipe I used 1tsp of pectolase and this produced a clear result so Smart price Apple needs pectolase.

Primed with 6 tsp of Fructose this time which is now sold at Asda by Tate and Lyle. Will see how that turns out as I had used golden syrup last time.

Great improvement using a bottling wand on a syphon. All bottles now at the same level with headspace. Using swing top bottles until I ran out and did the last 3 in standard crown caps.

Pear tastes a bit thin at this stage, apple seems stronger. Just the short wait to carbonate now.

I hope the pear blend doesn't finish up like this Apple & Plum Jam one. :nono: :nono:

It was an absolute beggar to filter out the solids and I finally finished up with one DJ full, even after three months settling! :doh:

Apple & Plum Jam.jpg

Hells bells you have some gunk in there mate. Hope it tastes good.

Still maturing (only bottled early June) but it has now cleared in the bottles and first tastes are fine.

What will make it really tasty is that it is made from 2kg of Apple and Plum Jam foraged from the hedgerows and then "lost" in a cupboard for about three years!

The jam looked okay but didn't fancy it on toast so .... :thumb: :thumb:

The Pear formed clumps quite early and this settled out fairly quickly so I transferred to a secondary just tipped over a sieve. What was left after it had finished was about a 1/4 of the sediment of the apple, so that ended up the clearest. I have topped up both with boiled water as I wanted something light and fizzy over the summer for an afternoon drink that wasn't as strong as the first cider I made.

Eventually I would like to carbonate in a PB then bottle from that without sediment in swing tops for easy drinking through the summer.

The problem I can see with drinks made from Jam is that Jam needs the pectin to set - so they often add more than needed in preserving sugar or other fruits, but we don't like the pectin in our drinks!
Have you got a wine filter? - or a centrifuge? :lol:

The problem I can see with drinks made from Jam is that Jam needs the pectin to set - so they often add more than needed in preserving sugar or other fruits, but we don't like the pectin in our drinks!
Have you got a wine filter? - or a centrifuge? :lol:

It wasn't bought jam so there was no pectin - apart from the natural pectin in crab-apples. :thumb:

Plus, I have no need for a wine filter because I will (hopefully) never repeat the exercise as I tend to eat homemade jam rather than stick it at the back of a cupboard and forget it! :doh: :doh:

It looks as if you've got your own brew nailed.

Decanting from a PB into flip-tops should retain enough "fizz" to keep it fresh after chilling and keep it clear; but I would top up the PB with as much CO2 as it could take before and during the decanting process just to make sure. :thumb:

Latest posts

Back