Apple & Mango WOW

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

madSimonJ

Reaction score
I've just made my very first batch of WOW using 2 litres of Morrison's Apple & Mango juice & a litre of Tesco's purple grape juice(i wanted white grape juice, but there isn't any in any of the supermarkets where I live). I've no idea how it'll turn out, but at the very least I'm hoping it'll be a good learning exercise.

2016-06-26%2015.48.54.jpg

Another supermarket juice wine convert. :thumb:

Did you see any Red Grape Juice?

When did you start it?

I'd put money on that one trying to break free 😮 😎

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

I didn't see any red grape juice. I started off this batch this afternoon. The yeast seems to have been pretty eager, it started bubbling fairly vigorously not long after being set away.

What's breaking free?

I'm getting a whole load of gunk in the airlock now, is that what you meant?

What's breaking free?

If you put too much water in the DJ fermentation will push your wine through the airlock, put it in a bucket or on something to catch the overflow as it will escape before it is finished.

I only fill to the begging of the shoulder and top up after racking, stabilising and clearing.

sorry, I just edited my reply to include start time (just this afternoon) before you replied. I'll pop it in a bucket. I'll also make sure to fill it up a bit less next time. It's only my second ever go at wine making, so you learn these things as you go along :)

I take it the gunk coming out is no risk to my wine?

When should I rack? Once primary fermentation is done?

You can take the airlock out (cover the neck so no nastiest get in) while you clean it as the CO2 that is being produced will protect your wine.

Rack when it gets to .995 or below, if you don't have a hydrometer wait until you only see a bubble every 2 minutes which is close enough.

You need to leave some space for vigourous fermentation or you could end up with a lot of it spread over your floor/bench.

Yeh that's what I meant chief

Although I've not had that issue from my own experience, I do mine in 25L batches in a 27 or 30L FV so have lots of headroom

At least there's no doubt that yours is fermenting away 😀

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

I've just made my very first batch of WOW using 2 litres of Morrison's Apple & Mango juice & a litre of Tesco's purple grape juice(i wanted white grape juice, but there isn't any in any of the supermarkets where I live). I've no idea how it'll turn out, but at the very least I'm hoping it'll be a good learning exercise.

2016-06-26%2015.48.54.jpg

keep us posted as i love mango :D

keep us posted as i love mango :D

Will do. I'm going to India in a few weeks, I'm half tempted to bring a few kilos of exotic fruit back with me, but I've never tried making wine from fruit before. I'm going again next year, I might get some mangos if it's the right season.

There's an awful lot of fruit pulp gathering in the top third of the demijohn now. Will that settle by itself, or am I going to have to clear that by racking in a week or two?

It will most likely stay floating there, your mango juice is probably sourced from puree which seems to generate a whole lot more gunk compared to concentrate or NFC's juices, there is the odd exception to that like pure pineapple juice. As long as it isn't spewing out all over the place just rack it once fermentation is almost complete before moving onto the next stage.

it's been bubbling for days now, far more furiously than the kit I made for my first brew. In fact, there was so much gunk in the airlock that i had to take it off to clean it out. It's starting to settle down now. I anticipate racking in a few days.

2016-07-05%2021.15.52.jpg

Just racked it. It was bubbling about every five minutes. There was a load of wine I couldn't get from the bottom, so I topped it up with water. I didn't use a Campden Tablet though, should I have?

never mind. I steralised a couple of spoons, crushed a tablet & chucked it in. Reading on the internet, I think I'll be needing some Potassium Sorbate in a day or so. I'll be paying a visit to my local brew shop, I think!

It's been fined and is settling in the fridge now:

2016-07-09%2012.02.46.jpg

That's a kit Elderflower wine next to it. That one has settled out already (it's been a few days) and I think it's ready for bottling. I'm not sure how much longer the WOW on the right needs. I've started being able to see a bit of detail of the yeast layer at the bottom through the wine, but I think it needs more time before bottling.

I usually put the crushed campden into the clean DJ, rack onto it, add stabiliser, degas and then add fining, could i ask why you didn't add the stabiliser at the same time you added the fining?

It's been fined and is settling in the fridge now:

2016-07-09%2012.02.46.jpg

That's a kit Elderflower wine next to it. That one has settled out already (it's been a few days) and I think it's ready for bottling. I'm not sure how much longer the WOW on the right needs. I've started being able to see a bit of detail of the yeast layer at the bottom through the wine, but I think it needs more time before bottling.

For most wines that you fine, just hold them up to the light or shine a small torch thru it, depending how long and what WoW type it is you will either see a decent clarity, a still fully clouded wine or a layer of clear then the cloudy line will start (my pineapple WoW takes around 3-4 days to clear if not placed in the fridge with kwik clear and you can see the cloudy level drop a few inches each day). I tend to now give my wines a full week to clear so i fine them on a sat/sun then bottle the following weekend.

Latest posts

Back