Sweet Turbo Cider Recipes Please?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

R-J-M

Reaction score
Hi All,

I've only just starting brewing and currently have some ale and wine on the go, so I fancied brewing some cider while I wait and I've been told about Turbo Cider?

I would like to make either 10L or 23L of sweet fruity cider....the closest match possible to Kopparberg, Rekorderlig, Old Mout etc.

What ingredients would I need and what steps do I need to follow to produce a high ABV sweet cider please?

If you like kopparberg try this
21 litres apple juice
3 440ml bottles of Lowics strawberry
1 750ml bottle tesco double strength lime squash
Mangrove jack cider yeast
Put the lime in a pan and bring to boil and simmer for 10 minutes.
Put the strawberry syrup in the fv and rinse out the bottles with some apple juice.
Put the rest of the apple juice in and add the lime.
Add the yeast and leave until it's fermented.
Put into 2nd fv.
Fill a half pint glass while you're doing this and batch prime the rest with 150g of sugar.
With the half pint add half a teaspoon of sweetener and taste, repeater until sweet enough.
Then times the sweetener by 80 and add to cider and bottle.
It should end up around 9% abv

Sent from my SM-N910F using Tapatalk

21 litres apple juice
Put the strawberry syrup in the fv and rinse out the bottles with some apple juice.
Put into 2nd fv.
Fill a half pint glass while you're doing this and batch prime the rest with 150g of sugar.
With the half pint add half a teaspoon of sweetener and taste, repeater until sweet enough.

That sounds perfect and very simple! Couple of questions before I start then...

Would fermentation usually take around 14 days for 23L, or until the airlock stops bubbling?

By adding sugar and sweetener to the FV rather than individual bottles, will this still make a nice fizzy cider?

Finally, once bottled, where do I store them all, and for how long please?

Sorry for all the questions, just keen to get it right...hopefully first time.

That sounds perfect and very simple! Couple of questions before I start then...

Would fermentation usually take around 14 days for 23L, or until the airlock stops bubbling?

By adding sugar and sweetener to the FV rather than individual bottles, will this still make a nice fizzy cider?

Finally, once bottled, where do I store them all, and for how long please?

Sorry for all the questions, just keen to get it right...hopefully first time.

Sounds like a good recipe :smile:

I'll stick my tuppenceworth in, see if we come to the same conclusion Evolram !

At this time of year, my TC will ferment out (to 1.000) in about a week, maybe 10 days max

You're adding sugar and sweetener to the 2nd FV, then bottling immediately (so that the secondary fermentation happens in the bottle, creating the fizz)

I find that once bottled, and put in a warm place (I have a cupboard that is about 22deg), the carbonation/clearing process is done in about a week, but leaving it for longer helps with mellowing the flavour (I can never leave them for very long). If you bottle some in plastic (PET) bottles, you can tell how carbonation is going by how firm the bottle starts to get when you give them a squeeze.

Ps if you want it with less ABV, just substitute some water for AJ, still turns out well

Sounds like a good recipe :smile:

I'll stick my tuppenceworth in, see if we come to the same conclusion Evolram !

At this time of year, my TC will ferment out (to 1.000) in about a week, maybe 10 days max

You're adding sugar and sweetener to the 2nd FV, then bottling immediately (so that the secondary fermentation happens in the bottle, creating the fizz)

I find that once bottled, and put in a warm place (I have a cupboard that is about 22deg), the carbonation/clearing process is done in about a week, but leaving it for longer helps with mellowing the flavour (I can never leave them for very long). If you bottle some in plastic (PET) bottles, you can tell how carbonation is going by how firm the bottle starts to get when you give them a squeeze.

Ps if you want it with less ABV, just substitute some water for AJ, still turns out well

Cheers Roddy, very helpful answers. One more question has just come to mind, and I hope its not a very stupid one....

I believe I need 100% juice from concentrate. does it have to be sugar free? or just ANY apple juice, branding, sugar content, quality?

Cheers Roddy, very helpful answers. One more question has just come to mind, and I hope its not a very stupid one....

I believe I need 100% juice from concentrate. does it have to be sugar free? or just ANY apple juice, branding, sugar content, quality?

No such thing as a stupid question in this game !, yes just any supermarket own brand 100% juice from concentrate, sugar free wouldn't be any good, cos you need the sugar for fermentation

ie.the asda variety, 55p per litre

https://groceries.asda.com/product/apple-juice/asda-smartprice-from-concentrate/32823

avoid 'apple juice drink' stuff, which tends to have water in it

lidl do a 'Vitafit' brand, 88p for 1.5L - I used that stuff last night for a S&L TC brew

I may have to mix the flavour up a bit, as much as I want S&L.

I have checked various supermarkets for Lowicz Syrup and the only one I can find that's in store is Tesco Raspberry & Lemon, 440ml for £1.

Not sure if apple juice, raspberry & lemon syrup and lime squash would be a good combination though :(

I've made a 25L batch using the same rasp and lemon and didn't like it as much as the Strawberry, the rasp gave it quite a sharper taste...

Still drank it all obviously 😉

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

I best get shopping around for the strawberry stuff then! thanks again :)

I use lidl 1.5 litre apple juice 88p.
My local Polish supermarket sells all the Lowics flavours.
Yeh the raspberry is good but quite sharp.
Something else worth trying is dry hopping your turbo cider. I used citra and it work really well.

I use lidl 1.5 litre apple juice 88p.
My local Polish supermarket sells all the Lowics flavours.
Yeh the raspberry is good but quite sharp.
Something else worth trying is dry hopping your turbo cider. I used citra and it work really well.

Good idea, I have a tiny Polish shop 5 minutes from home, I will check there.

Does it have to be Lowicz because its tried and tested? or could I use 440ml of any brand strawberry syrup?

Lowics has no preservatives so no need to boil. Not sure about other brands check the label. I said 440ml because I've seen bigger bottles and not sure how many ml they are.

Lowics has no preservatives so no need to boil. Not sure about other brands check the label. I said 440ml because I've seen bigger bottles and not sure how many ml they are.

I can get my hands on a 1L bottle of strawberry syrup (made for use with coffee) so as long as there are no preservatives then would you say im good to go? Im SO excited!

21 litres apple juice
Put into 2nd fv.

Will I need to add any Malic Acid, Tanin, Pectolase, yeast nutrient etc?

I use pectolase (I've found it makes a difference for clearing), and a litre of strong tea for tannin (not tried without so far), don't bother with malic or nutrient :)

I use pectolase (I've found it makes a difference for clearing), and a litre of strong tea for tannin (not tried without so far), don't bother with malic or nutrient :)

Brilliant, I can get Pectolase from Wilko so that's easy.

What does Tannin do to the cider? would 4 or 5 Yorkshire tea bags soaking in a mug of hot water work?

Tannin gives it some bite apparently... like I say I've not tried a tc without it so far... yes I just us a litre of boiling water with 5 bags of tetleys finest

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

Would this Strawberry sauce work?

20160824_201919.jpg

Latest posts

Back