"Bensons Oatmeal Stout" - a tribute to mans best friend

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Cheers Smod :thumb:

Everything is really upside down at the moment, but i'll let you know ;) I need to do another brew over two evenings soon as well so you could make it for that if I end up ditching this batch :thumb:

Don't ditch it. :nono:

I can keep it all under control and drink your beer in the garage while you do whatever you have to. :thumb:

:) thanks bud ;) depending on what happens I might or might not boil it tomorrow, no fun here at the moment i'm afraid....

Understand.

Let me know and I'll be glad to help you. :thumb:

Will do, I recon i'll be boiling this tomorrow wearing a black tie, you're welcome though to come up for either or both halves of the next brew next week, Townes IPA I think :thumb:

I've never done this before but......in theory
People who make wine add a camden tab to kill off any wild yeast from fruit, before ading the wine yeast the next day :hmm:

Vossy1 said:
I've never done this before but......in theory
People who make wine add a camden tab to kill off any wild yeast from fruit, before ading the wine yeast the next day :hmm:

Wouldn't the camden tablet also affect the proper yeast when you pitch it, assuming one tablet per gallon?

Or would we get rid of this in the boil?

i'm not certain of this, but i believe campden is used in fruit wines before the ferment, and they aren't generally boiled.

i'd have to research further to confirm it though.

BrewStew said:
i'm not certain of this, but i believe campden is used in fruit wines before the ferment, and they aren't generally boiled

Enter Aleman from stage left...

I'm ditching this brew, it smells 'funny' and has a yeast head on it...

We did the right thing by Benson today and had him put to sleep.

He's not suffering anymore.

Gutted.

Wez said:
I'm ditching this brew, it smells 'funny' and has a yeast head on it...

We did the right thing by Benson today and had him put to sleep.

He's not suffering anymore.

Gutted.

:( so sorry to hear mate.

as i said in txt, gimmie a call or txt if you need a shoulder or drinking partner :thumb:

Thanks guy's just told our 4yo daughter :( :( :(

Guy's this is what is on top of the unboiled wort, it smells a bit 'stale' like how your mash tun does if you clean it out the following day...

27112008880.jpg

Sling it? What do you think??

hmmmm :hmm:

well if there's anything lurking in there, it'll get boiled off anyway.

but i'm not sure about how to play it with the "stale" smell.

did you managed to raise your mash over 76'c for your mashout?

if not, then i know its a waste of grain, but if that were me i'd sling it.

mind you, from this point on it's only gunna cost you a few grams of hops and yeast to know if it's good or not. but alot more wasted in grain if you sling it.

jamesb said:
BrewStew said:
i'm not certain of this, but i believe campden is used in fruit wines before the ferment, and they aren't generally boiled

Enter Aleman from stage left...
Ah Ha!!! :lol:

metabisulphite is an antifermentative, and generally knocks wild yeast down pretty effectively . . . . Brewing yeast tends to be a little more robust, and so just gets on with business

Wez that boiler 'looks' like the amylase enzymes just carried on with business . . . although it could be the beginnings of a lactic infection . . . as others have said its the 'stale' smell that is gining things away . . . . sort of musty?? If it were me I would ditch it as I absolutely hate that flavour . . . . . although a Berliner Stout could be a new style if you let it go for another 24 hours . . . just scrape the islands of green mold off before boiling :sick: :sick: :sick:

Sorry to restart a two year old brewday thread but it seems the right thing to do.

It will be 2 years on 27th November since we lost our best friend 'Benson' our fun loving Springer Spaniel. He fell very ill during this brew and it never got finished as it turned bad before I could boil it.

So, this weekend as a way of marking the anniverasry of his passing I will brew exactly the same recipe as before and naming the stout with something appropriate like "Bensons Oatmeal Stout"

I hope it turns out to be a good one :thumb:

That's a good thing to do Wez, I'm sure it will turn out great.

Got a mate going through the same thing with his dog at the moment. Have you got another dog yet? It's the only cure.

Good luck

Latest posts

Back