Just starting

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Boscomanal

Reaction score
Hi everyone, I've wanted to do this for a while now and am pretty keen to get started. When reading the instructions of Coopers IPA it says to make sure the water is free of chlorine odour. My tap water does have a smell of chlorine in it and I wqnted to know how to remove it and what impact it has on a brew. Any tips or help will be welcome.

Welcome all. I am new to brewing about a year now. I have never had to correct my water to be honest even though it is treated. Some people who have problems do use the cheapest bottled water you can get or just boil it as said above. Campden tabs are supposed to work too - I think by displacing the chlorine with SO2 though I could be wrong.

If you are happy enough to drink your water straight from the tap then probably ok to not worry about correcting it.

doesn't chlorine dissipate given time,like a day?its never been an issue to me,more of a concern is what type of water you have,soft no good they say for ipas but good for stouts

Chlorine will boil off but chlorides won't. Recently chlorides are used in water. I used a campden tab for the first time last week. I really never had an issue with my water but thought I'd give it a try.

to sterilize wine, cider and in beer making to kill bacteria and to inhibit the growth of most wild yeast: this product is also used to eliminate both free chlorine and the more stable form, chloramine, from water ...
This was taken from the wiki page.
I add half a tablet to my 20litre batches as hue heard a full tablet would be for 40litres.
But my water is ok its more for the bacteria fighting properties I'm after.
Water you use left over night with a half a tablet should clear the chlorine. But again bottled water 5ls are worth investing in too

Campden tablets (potassium or sodium metabisulfite) are a sulfur-based product that is used primarily to sterilize wine, cider and in beer making to kill bacteria and to inhibit the growth of most wild yeast: this product is also used to eliminate both free chlorine and the more stable form, chloramine, from water ...

this is a snipit from the wikki page,

for me these are mainly for protecting my wort during a potential lagging phase. ill only use half a tab for 20 litres though. a whole tablet is for a 40litre batch (although i have put a whole one in at times)
i drop it in the fv and pour the wort in, im just hoping im not killing the tablet off in the process (if the wort is on the hot side).

Theyre also used as a substitute for a sanitizer but i think this is more an australian/New Zealand thing going by a couple of youtube vids

Could you add it to the boil?

Ill be honest mate I'm not sure. I've searched stuff but looks like not much on that. I've added them to the empty FV before the wort goes in. Good piece of mind either way.
You can add yeast nutrient to the boil so maybe this falls in the same category

Just read up on it. If you're using it to sterilize, then it has to sit for 24 hours. If you're using it to remove chlorine and stuff, then it has to be used in the HLT before mashing.

Latest posts

Back