AG49 Vermont IPA

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I hadn't heard/read about this, so was slightly sulphate heavy as usual for a hoppy brew.
I think a bit more research and a tweak could be needed for my V2
:cheers:
I'm going to have a crack brewing at a NEIPA over Christmas, but already thinking ahead to future brews and was thinking of doing two IPAs using exactly same Grist, yeast and hops, but changing the water treatment, hop schedule and dryhopping technique, to produce a West Coast and a New England IPAs.

Sent from my LG-H815 using Tapatalk

One good thing about the 1098 yeast is that it doesn't hang about, there were visible signs of activity last night.
Also when the wife came home last night she asked why the kitchen smelled like passion fruit which I took as a very good sign!

Thanks for posting your recipe Steve, going to add some vermont yeast to my next brew order and give something a similar a whirl. Good luck with yours.

Thanks for posting your recipe Steve, going to add some vermont yeast to my next brew order and give something a similar a whirl. Good luck with yours.

Thanks mate :hat: It's a simple (if expensive) style to brew.
I added the first round of dry hops today and took a gravity sample while I was at it, down to 1.024 and showing signs of slowing down so I'm now ramping the temperature up by 0.5°/day.
On tasting I can already tell that the bitterness is a lot higher than the 39 predicted by Brewmate. However it looks, tastes and smells like a glass of tropical fruit juice which is exactly what I was going for.

Thanks mate :hat: It's a simple (if expensive) style to brew.
I added the first round of dry hops today and took a gravity sample while I was at it, down to 1.024 and showing signs of slowing down so I'm now ramping the temperature up by 0.5°/day.
On tasting I can already tell that the bitterness is a lot higher than the 39 predicted by Brewmate. However it looks, tastes and smells like a glass of tropical fruit juice which is exactly what I was going for.

Sounds Lush, I tend to go with an 80°C hop steep in the boiler rather than dry hopping which for me makes racking from the fermenation vessel a right PITA !

Each to their own though and not done this style of brew before - bit excited, must get the stuff ordered up, away between Christmas and the New Year but may get a brew on 1st or 2nd of Jan.

Interested to hear how yours develops from here.

Second dose of hops went in today, 5 days into fermentation. The SG is now at 1.016 so should be near enough done. I'll give it another few days then a quick cold crash before bottling.

Second dose of hops went in today, 5 days into fermentation. The SG is now at 1.016 so should be near enough done. I'll give it another few days then a quick cold crash before bottling.

Sounds right on plan Steve,

I've ordered up my ingredients to give something similar a try, not got my full recipe in front of me at work but going with:

Marris Otter, Caramunich and Flaked Wheat
Columbus (for bittering), then Galaxy, Simcoe and Mosaic
Yeast Bay Vermont liquid yeast

Will wash the yeast and split/re-use, won't get this brewed until early Jan.

Good luck with yours Steve.

Sounds right on plan Steve,

I've ordered up my ingredients to give something similar a try, not got my full recipe in front of me at work but going with:

Marris Otter, Caramunich and Flaked Wheat
Columbus (for bittering), then Galaxy, Simcoe and Mosaic
Yeast Bay Vermont liquid yeast

Will wash the yeast and split/re-use, won't get this brewed until early Jan.

Good luck with yours Steve.

Thanks mate, I will be brewing v2 of this in January for the competition, this was just a test run, so we could do a swap then if you like?

Thanks mate, I will be brewing v2 of this in January for the competition, this was just a test run, so we could do a swap then if you like?

Sounds great, how do you post a bottle or two Steve? Special packaging? Which postal service?

Sounds great, how do you post a bottle or two Steve? Special packaging? Which postal service?

I just wrap in a couple of layers of bubble wrap then you can either put it in a small box or just wrap some sturdy cardboard around and tape it up. I think it costs £2.80 with royal mail for up to 2kg.

I just wrap in a couple of layers of bubble wrap then you can either put it in a small box or just wrap some sturdy cardboard around and tape it up. I think it costs ��£2.80 with royal mail for up to 2kg.

Cool, calling mine 'Juicy Lucy' - has a nice ring to it!

Will post you one when ready.

Checked gravity today and it's still at 1.016 so set the fridge to cold crash for a day or so. It's definitely a lot more bitter than I wanted, version 2 will have a much smaller bittering charge. The aroma is seriously powerful though, hopefully it won't fade too quickly.

Checked gravity today and it's still at 1.016 so set the fridge to cold crash for a day or so. It's definitely a lot more bitter than I wanted, version 2 will have a much smaller bittering charge. The aroma is seriously powerful though, hopefully it won't fade too quickly.

It's not unusual for a NE IPA to have no bittering charge from what I've read, it's amazing how much you can get from a large late/steep addition.

It's not unusual for a NE IPA to have no bittering charge from what I've read, it's amazing how much you can get from a large late/steep addition.

Yeah it would seem that the equations for determining bitterness levels don't quite work so well with late additions and steeping. I'll maybe try no bittering hop addition for version 2.

I normally like to give my brews a good couple of weeks or so in the fermenter but for various reasons I'm trying to hurry this one along so I bottled it today. It certainly has the characteristic cloudiness, however it's not quite as orange as I would have liked, it's slightly brown which isn't too pretty. I'm very happy with the aroma, however I don't think the flavour is quite there, probably due to the high bitterness. It's more of a standard American IPA rather than the sweet and juicy East coast style, but hopefully next month's version 2 will be closer.

I know that feeling steve. My Vermont went on today. I stuck with a bittering charge but hopefully with the Vermont yeast and the hops it should be nice and juicy.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It's been 5 days since bottling so decided to give this a taste tonight. As you can see it's got the look, the aroma is spot on and the bitterness actually seems to have balanced out a little already. It's only lightly carbed as yet but it tastes very promising, the soft juicy hop flavour is definitely there. @Leon103 and @BeerCat I'm posting these out to you tomorrow, just give them a couple more days to carb properly and serve chilled.

It's been 5 days since bottling so decided to give this a taste tonight. As you can see it's got the look, the aroma is spot on and the bitterness actually seems to have balanced out a little already. It's only lightly carbed as yet but it tastes very promising, the soft juicy hop flavour is definitely there. @Leon103 and @BeerCat I'm posting these out to you tomorrow, just give them a couple more days to carb properly and serve chilled.

Excellent, look forward. They should arrive the same time I return from my travels. Will give my black IPA a taste when I am back and send one on.

Back