New home-brewer Im hoping

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
For a first brew Coopers yeast is fine. No need to change it. It usually ferments out predictably and settles out quite well at the bottom of the bottle. However if it had been a Muntons kits that's a different proposition......
The danger with changing this and changing that on your first brew is that you lose sight of what you are doing, which is to learn the basics of how to brew your own beer and then enjoy it. After a few brews you can do all sorts of new things having got the basics right. At the end of the day you only learn by experience, perhaps guided by the advice of others.

As terrym said, just try it first and understand what you are doing and why you need to change it otherwise if you constantly do what others say (and I mean no disrespect) you will not learn for yourself and after having learned what you can do is seek advice and I'll tell you that there is no better place.🍺

Sent from my ALE-L21

Well just started the first brew Coppers Bitter fingers crossed praying to the beer god :)
Got a gravity of 1040 is that good?

Well just started the first brew Coppers Bitter fingers crossed praying to the beer god :)
Got a gravity of 1040 is that good?
An OG of 1.040 is fine. And you have added a fair amount of malt in addition to the kit can which will improve the finished product.
As an initial rule of thumb the 2+2+2 system is a good starting point to manage your brewing, that's 2 weeks in the FV, 2 carbonating in the warm and 2 conditioning in the coldest place you have before you try a sample, although this is one of those beers that does benefit from at least 6 weeks conditioning. And a final tip is to place your FV in a cold place at the end of the primary assuming its finished, to help drop the yeast to give a clearer beer that goes forward into your bottles.

A quick update has been a week in the fv so thought I'd check the gravity, came out at 1.000 tastes really good :) had good carbonation in the gravity tube.

Welcome pal.
As the guys have said, it's the satisfaction wether it turns not what u expected! You made that!!!
By learning and tweaking you'll be like the rest of us!! Hooked!!
Waking up! And first thing...no toilet or flicking the kettle....straight the the brew n how it's going on..
Enjoy and leant as much as u can..questions questions isn't shunned in this forum no matter how daft it may seem...them Q's are for me!

Back