Liquid loss on the boil

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
One question I should have asked but forgot,For your FV do you include the trub/soaked hops left in the wort boiler after running off the wort or do you just count the extracted wort?

If you want to end up with 23l then you need to allow a bit for the gunk that you leave behind before and after fermentation.

We have no control over volatile compounds (grains, never proven) Id like to see your research on this one. Hops, proven, lots of papers available on-line about exracting the Lupus from hop plants

We have no control over volatile compounds (grains, never proven) Id like to see your research on this one. Hops, proven, lots of papers available on-line about exracting the Lupus from hop plants

:confused:
I have no idea what you're saying here so I'm going to stop now, plus I think this thread has been derailed enough already.

Apologies for continuing to derail this thread but there is a huge amount of research done on how DMS is generated as part of the malting and mashing process and how it can be controlled in the brewerey. Here are a tiny selection of a few relevant articles.

Evaporation behaviour of DMS in an aqueous solution at infinite dilution �" a review

DIMETHYL SULPHIDE—ITS ORIGIN AND CONTROL IN BREWING

THE RELATIONSHIP OF DIMETHYL SULPHIDE LEVELS IN MALT, WORT AND BEER

CONTROL OF THE DIMETHYL SULPHIDE CONTENT OF BEER BY REGULATION OF THE COPPER BOIL

In terms of volatile hop compounds and the suggestion that people want to preserve these, this is a really interesting thesis on dry hopping and the effects of temperature, duration and differences between whole cone and pellet hops.

Back