The Day has Arived !!!!

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

johnyp

Reaction score
hi guys and gals.....well tomorrow is the day I,me gona have a go at an all grain (biab) I am doing clibit,s recipe (1kg Maris otter/cascade hops/yeast) it is for a 5 litre brew (I am going to double up to 10 litres)as the "pot" I have should handle the volume just about....so a couple of questions the recipe say,s 5grams of hops when boiling point is reached (I will add 10) and 55min later add 5grams (again I will add 10 as I am doubling the recipe) I really like hoppy beer so how brave can I be ??? I bow to my fellow brewers greater knowledge.....ooh I can,t wait......:thumb:

Which hops are you planning on using? The Alpha acid content can vary dramatically from type to type.

And by hoppy do you mean bitter and hoppy or just more of a hop aroma/taste with less bitterness? It really depends on the quantity and what time you add them to the boil

If you really like hops I would suggest going a step further and adding 15g-30g or so of dry hops to your fermenter 4 days or so before bottling.

hi grizzly299 I am going to use columbas for bittering and cascade for aroma/taste I suppose I like the "hoppy"taste on the tounge....

I did a 10litre galaxy brew (higher alpha acid than cascade) and did
4g at 60mins (start of boil) - early hops add bitterness
12g at 10mins (50mins gone)
12g at 5mins (55mins gone)
12g at 0mins/flame out (60mins gone) - the later the addition the more flavour and less bitterness

You can always dry hop/add a hop tea if you have hops left over and don't think the trial jar isn't hippy enough before bottling.

Well, when adding hops during the boil it is usual to add three additions bittering hops 60 minute boil flavour hop last 15 minutes & aroma in the last few minutes. For bettering its all about % alpha acid, so you might want to stick with the recipe for bittering hops, there are calculators available for the required IBU's. As for flavour & aroma if you like it hoppy you can up the qty quite a bit Cascade hops are a really good flavour hop so you could add as much as double again the flavore addition but be cautious it will increase the bitterness slightly aswell. Good luck with it:thumb:

Awesome! You're going to have a blast. I did the recipe exactly as Clibit wrote it, but like you I doubled the amounts to make more. I then did a little dry hop for 5 days before bottling. I'm drinking it now and it's fantastic. Keep it simple and enjoy yourself! :thumb:

great advice guy,s....I will keep the hop additions as per the recipe and dry hop in the fv.....ooh I are all excited...

Latest posts

Back