First brew hopefully final topic

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sunners1

Reaction score
Hi all,
I feel slightly daft today having made an error with my first brew, I struggled to take a reading on day one of my brew, I now can't work out my abv! I still have some gurgling from the airlock 6 days in, a few questions!
Should I wait till my brew has cleared before bottling?
Should I cold crash prior to this overnight?
Can I still work out abv?
Other than this I tried a sample and it tasted awesome, I want to try dry hopping on the next one!!!
Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Leave it in the fv for 14 days. You can then cold crash for a extra couple of days if you want. What was the expectant og? You could work off that.

Why 14 days? Will it be better the longer I leave it? And what's the reason for the cold crash?
I was expecting around 1048og.
Sorry for all the questions but I have read so many different ways, i know there are lots of differences and it's finding what best suits me but I'd like to know all the options.
Thanks

Leaving 14 days will pretty much guarantee end of fermentation. Cold crashing helps to clear your beer. By dropping the temp the yeast and proteins fall out of suspension ( go to sleep) if you will, it also reduces chill haze. I cold crash for 3 days or more if necessary, then bottle or keg.

Great stuff, I was worried leaving it longer might make it go off or flat, obviously priming my bottles will help that! I might split it into 2 demijohns and dry hop just to mix it up a bit now you have restored my confidence!
Thanks Rockuronium

Now would probably be a good time to dry hop, I leave the hop bag in for 7 days. Then you should be ready for the cold crash. What style are you brewing?

It's the coopers IPA, myself and a friend have both completed a brew each, my only concern is keeping my demijohns warm as they'll be in the garage.

I enjoy fruity IPA's or American IPA's. Abbeydale Moonshine is my favourite ale or Brewdog Elvis Juice but that looks an advanced brew for summmer

Great stuff, I was worried leaving it longer might make it go off or flat, obviously priming my bottles will help that! I might split it into 2 demijohns and dry hop just to mix it up a bit now you have restored my confidence!
Thanks Rockuronium

you will find most of the old sweats on here will tell you this or a version of. i repeat this on this forum at least 3-4 times a week. fermentation 2 weeks , move to clean FV off the yeast. leave two weeks this gives the yeast time to clean your beer of off smells and tastes, you can cold crash the last couple of days if you want to. i do not, as you need some healthy yeast for carbonation. Now bottle keg etc. leave in warmth two weeks then condition in the cold. i condition for ten weeks before drinking some people drink from the fermenter :lol: its your choice. but that decent conditioning period will give you far better beer than one conditioned for a couple of weeks:thumb:

The temp needs to be ideally around the 21C mark, if it's cold, it will take a long time to ferment out, as I stated earlier the yeast become dormant. Your final gravity should be around 1.012-1.015 for this style of beer. Based on your OG of 1.048 and FG as above you'll be looking at around 4.5% abv.

Back