eHERMS DIY Build | 3 Keggles | Raspberry Pi | CraftBeerPi

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HAHB

Reaction score
I've only posted once, a while ago, about a retail site I was going to start on hahb.co.uk - I didn't end up getting that going, but still had the domain. Recently I decided to upgrade my brewing gear, and I thought I'd use the domain to document the process.

So, without further ado, here's the first part documenting the planning phase so far and what's in store:

eHERMS build - Part 1: Planning.

I've left off the thermowells somehow, but they do exist I promise! Is there anything else people can see I've missed?

using the hlt as the waterbath for the herms coil while being a traditional solution can be restrictive on the small scale. it could be cheaper to build and easier to run with a small dedicated herms kettle with a meter or so of microbore coil, the smaller water bath would enable much faster reaction to temp drops and less input needed to step up temps if needed.

That said Why do you want herms? are there specific brews that call for stepped mashing?
It can be a lot easier to simply rely on good insulation and heat retention to maintain a mash temp than incorporate a system that introduces heat losses and inputs which need further control..

If using sankey kegs why not fit the spear holes with 2" triclamp fittings for bottom drains for kettle and tun, the concave (top/base) would suit a simple perforated ss plate FB in both for grain and hop filtering.

just a few thoughts.. have fun with the build

Latest posts

Back