WYeast 1056 vs US05

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Blinky

Regular.
Reaction score
Im looking to brew a Lagunitas clone next weekend and the recipe recommends WYeast 1056, I usually use dry yeast so googled a dry alternative and apparently US05 is exactly the same strain. Sounds good but.... Brewersfriend recipe calculator has 1056 s 75% attenuation and US05 as 81% attenuation. Are they the same yeast? Should I drop the malt bill a little to make up for the extra attenuation? Why does it have extra attenuation? Or is it just that Brewersfriend is wrong - but then which is right, 75 or 81%?

There both the chico strain (WLP001, and BRY-97 are also the chico strain) and are very very similar, but I think there are a couple of slight differences. Such as US-05 is more powdery whilst WY1056 is more flocculant.
Dont believe the attenuations that are stated on the yeast labs site. If you look around the interwebs (and theirs LOADS of info on the chico strains as their the most popular, amercian, strains) you'll find that people often get very different attenuations than advertised. It pays to do a little research on the yeast your going to use. Unless you fancy doing a bit of trial and error

Crossmyloof yeast, never thought about that, just ordered the hops from them last night as well! Sent them a facebook message too see if they can chuck a pack of the yeast in ny order...

Is the crossmyloof pale ale yeast any good? I've got 10 packs laying around. But always reached for the US-05 instead.

Dunno, they are sending me a pack FOC - will let you know in a few weeks!

I've done about 5 brews with it from pale ale to bipa and dry stout..all good. The real ale seems OK to..my British style light ales are really nice..

There both the chico strain (WLP001, and BRY-97 are also the chico strain) and are very very similar, but I think there are a couple of slight differences. Such as US-05 is more powdery whilst WY1056 is more flocculant.
Dont believe the attenuations that are stated on the yeast labs site. If you look around the interwebs (and theirs LOADS of info on the chico strains as their the most popular, amercian, strains) you'll find that people often get very different attenuations than advertised. It pays to do a little research on the yeast your going to use. Unless you fancy doing a bit of trial and error

This is very true. US 05 has been my "go-to" yeast for ages and re-using it for 4 more brews from each original sachet gives reliable 90% attenuation and clean tasting beer.

US 05 is not the most flocculant yeast, though, as MyQul says and it has characteristics like starting a bit slowly, forming irritating ball bearing type bits at the end of fermentation and not sticking well to the bottom of bottles.

Back