fermentation fridge how to ??

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
:thumb: :thumb:
that looks the business, well done

For those who want to build their own Fridge controller using an STC1000 then THIS is the best overview of the whole process that I have come across so far. It's not at all difficult, took me about 1 hr. Good luck with it!!

LeithR said:
For those who want to build their own Fridge controller using an STC1000 then THIS is the best overview of the whole process that I have come across so far. It's not at all difficult, took me about 1 hr. Good luck with it!!

I am an electrics nightmare but I am going to try a build myself with my other stc1000 I've just bought.
Here's keeping my cool :pray:
ATB
Bri

I'm also looking at using a fridge as a fermentation cupboard. I already have the stc1000 wired up and am currently using it with a heat belt to heat the fv. I use a sponge selotaped to the fv to house the temp probe.

I wondered though, is it just as good or better to use a chest freezer? I want to make a lager and would need to maintain temps just above 0 for several weeks. I thought maybe a freezer might be more energy efficient, but that's a complete guess. Does anyone know anything about this at all?

Thanks

here is mine :thumb:

stc-1.jpg
[/URL]

stc-2.jpg
[/URL]

Manxnorton said:
Chuffed to bits :clap:
My stc1000 came today and I've just fun testing using a lamp for heating and my kitchen radio for cooling...toptastic :grin:
Here it is, well happy with the fabrication of it.

Now getting the freezer tomorrow and play time.
ATB
Bri

Just when I was going to ask if anyone can help me sauce the box & bits I thought I'd at least try and get over my phobia of electrics...and chuffed I did.
With the help of you guys with PM's etc I managed my own lil stc1000 setup that I'm gonna use for the HLT
:thumb: thx again to all who battled away getting me there.

ATB
Bri

I am quite interested in building one of these - although im torn between buying BIAB equipment or temperature control.

The temp in my utility room stays consistent between 18-22 degrees at the moment which is working well for fermenting my kit beer, but not sure how that is going to play out in the summer months.

My only concerns really are with the soldering as it would mean having to buy the equipment (and not being very confident in carrying it out) - I do have a few mates who are sparkys right enough so could ask one of them for a hand.

liamtmt7 said:
I am quite interested in building one of these - although im torn between buying BIAB equipment or temperature control.

The temp in my utility room stays consistent between 18-22 degrees at the moment which is working well for fermenting my kit beer, but not sure how that is going to play out in the summer months.

My only concerns really are with the soldering as it would mean having to buy the equipment (and not being very confident in carrying it out) - I do have a few mates who are sparkys right enough so could ask one of them for a hand.
You don't need to solder anything for the STC or sockets, you just need a screwdriver, a couple of chocolate boxes and the wiring diagram :thumb:

You don't need to solder anything for the STC or sockets, you just need a screwdriver, a couple of chocolate boxes and the wiring diagram :thumb:[/quote]

Thanks for that Joe. I watched the YouTube video posted earlier in the thread and there was soldering and heat guns all over the shop, put me off a little bit!! :oops:

liamtmt7 said:
joe1002 said:
You don't need to solder anything for the STC or sockets, you just need a screwdriver, a couple of chocolate boxes and the wiring diagram :thumb:

Thanks for that Joe. I watched the YouTube video posted earlier in the thread and there was soldering and heat guns all over the shop, put me off a little bit!! :oops:
I may be going blind but I couldn't see the video. I made mine as above but I added a 40amp relay so used a few spade connectors. You won't need the 40amp relay for a fermentation, the relay in the STC will be sufficient.

joe1002 said:
I may be going blind but I couldn't see the video. I made mine as above but I added a 40amp relay so used a few spade connectors. You won't need the 40amp relay for a fermentation, the relay in the STC will be sufficient.

It was a link posted by LeithR

LeithR said:

Thanks to these, and other helpful posts on the forum, I've successfully built myself a temperature control for my brew fridge today and it's working well. However, I remain confused about the best place for the temperature probe... Inside the wort or not? When people mention using bubble wrap or a sponge to house the probe, do they mean on the outside of the fermenting bin? If going on the inside, how might one put the probe in but still keep the bin lid on tight?

biggtime said:
... how might one put the probe in but still keep the bin lid on tight?

Ask yourself why you need to keep the lid on tight ;)

Some people attach the probe to the outside of the FV covered in bubblewrap or polystyrene to insulate it from the air temp in the fridge.
This seems like a good compromise and maintains the set temp well.

Thanks Anthony. Good point, now I understand the 'insulation' idea a little better. But you're right, presumably inside a very contained (hopefully very clean) space, do I need to keep the lid on tight? I could dangle the sterilised probe in the wort and get away with it?

I dangle my probe in the brew - I've got the coopers kit which is plastic so I can still push the lid back on. There is a "break" in the "seal" around where the probe wire goes in but as many people will point out CO2 is heavier than air so it will sit on top of your brew and wont spoil.

I've seen temperature controllers for use in aquariums or for keeping lizards warm etc.
They don't seem very expensive either, probably cheaper and safer than making one yourself.
Any reason you wouldn't want to use them and need to build one yourself?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back