Black Rock Cider Review

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TonyT40

Reaction score
Set the kit off as per instructions. At 14 days it was still going strong so I had to leave it an extra week whilst I was away. After 22 days the SG had dropped to 1002 and it was pretty clear (better than I expected). I bottled with 1 teaspoon of sugar in brown pet bottles with Crown Caps (42). Bottles inverted 4 times as per can and stored in our attic room (generally 20 to 24 degC) until next weekend. I will then move somewhere cool.

I will update later. :thumb:

TonyT40 said:
Set the kit off as per instructions. At 14 days it was still going strong so I had to leave it an extra week whilst I was away. After 22 days the SG had dropped to 1002 and it was pretty clear (better than I expected). I bottled with 1 teaspoon of sugar in brown pet bottles with Crown Caps (42). Bottles inverted 4 times as per can and stored in our attic room (generally 20 to 24 degC) until next weekend. I will then move somewhere cool.

I will update later. :thumb:

Thanks Tony

Be interested to hear what you think. I read about this kit before I was persuaded to try a well aged turbo cider on this forum! I did do the kit but followed some tweaks that I read about. I brewed short to 18 litres, added 3 sliced Bramleys and substituted some of the water for juice from concentrate and adjusted the sugar accordingly. Also added a small amount of lactose to sweeten slightly. Have to say the one thing I did forget was to adjust the recommended sugar for the reduced volume (18 litres)! oops. Have bottled now and waiting for the fizz...

Leo

Day 33. Now moved to cool room for conditioning. I did bottle 2 in clear bottles. The cider is very clear with minimum sediment. The PEt bttles have now become quite firm. So far so good! :pray:

Well today was the day the instructions said it would be ready! I opened a bottle. It is very clear, pretty flat (or is lightly carbonated the correct term ?), doesn't have much flavour an a slight yeast smell. I think I will leave it a bit longer but not sure about the lack of fizz :?

Update. Had a few more bottles. Tastes good - although a little more flovour would had been better. All bottles completely flat so far :( . I had to leave it an extra week or so in the FV as I was on holiday and assume the yeasties died. I prefer mine carbonated so am a little disappointed as this was my first ever kit.

I know it's been years since anyone's commented on this review but I wondered if you guys know what the starting gravity for the black rock should be? I've checked on loads of websites but can't find the info anywhere.

I was also thinking about adjusting the volume and also maybe the sugar/juice so I'd find it handy to know. Dont suppose you logged it anywhere did you? No worries if not - cheers

Update. Had a few more bottles. Tastes good - although a little more flovour would had been better. All bottles completely flat so far :( . I had to leave it an extra week or so in the FV as I was on holiday and assume the yeasties died. I prefer mine carbonated so am a little disappointed as this was my first ever kit.

Well I brewed mine only slightly short by 500mls and used 3lt Asda apple juice. I clocked the SG at 1.040. After 3 weeks in the bucket the sg was down to bang on 1.000. I'd been on holiday too so I hope it carbonates! I was quite pleased with it this low as I like a dry cider but let's hope it's not too thin and tasteless!

I'll update in a few weeks when HOPEFULLY it's got some fizz in it!

Back