My First WOW

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

YeastLord

Reaction score
Late reporting my brewdays so will try and catch up now! Did this one at the end of August.

Followed the thread video but tweaked the recipe slightly.

1l RGJ
3l Apple juice
850g sugar

Starting SG 1105 and finished at 995.

Racked onto CT and bentonite. Still clearing. The wife is quite anti-chemiclal which is why I didn't use the advocated Kwik Klear. Bentonite certainly hasn't been very 'Kwik'. The taste a at racking was promising so hope it clears ok.

4 litres of juice to a 4.5 litre DJ may be a bit much (very strong) we use 2.5 litres and like the taste.
You are also looking at around 1300g of sugar so it could be quite high in ABV.

4 litres of juice to a 4.5 litre DJ may be a bit much (very strong) we use 2.5 litres and like the taste.
You are also looking at around 1300g of sugar so it could be quite high in ABV.

I'm worried it might be a bit much like you say. Think I'll get a 2.5l going as well. Be good to do RGJ and Apple so I can try them side by side!

I've done:

1L RGJ
1L Apple Juice
900g sugar

Turned out quite nice. I let go down to 0.990 (or wherever it stops fermenting) then backsweeten with a little more AJ after stabilising. You don't need as much juice as you're using but it should still taste good. :thumb:

I've done:

1L RGJ
1L Apple Juice
900g sugar

Turned out quite nice. I let go down to 0.990 (or wherever it stops fermenting) then backsweeten with a little more AJ after stabilising. You don't need as much juice as you're using but it should still taste good. :thumb:

My thought was that more juice = more flavour - but I'm still learning / experimenting so I'm ready to be delighted or disappointed as the case may be :)
Did you stabilise with potassium sorbate?

My thought was that more juice = more flavour - but I'm still learning / experimenting so I'm ready to be delighted or disappointed as the case may be :)
Did you stabilise with potassium sorbate?

Yep, rack onto a crushed campden + 0.5 tsp of potassium sorbate. Degas, back sweeten and add finings, ready to bottle after a couple of days.

Back