Punk IPA Clone - Anyone tried?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

_jon_

Regular.
Reaction score
Has anyone tried the Punk IPA from the DIY Dog book?

Punk is one of my favourite beers, and I thought cloning it would be fun using the recipe and maybe adding a little twist.

Keen to hear any stories if people have tried? The hop bill is longer than the Mrs shopping lists!!

Ive done my own version using Columbus, ahtanun, and amarillo and its good. not the exact same, but good. Chuck in some grapefruit peel and I have elvis juice. Two of my goto recipes, using bugger all and dead simple and cheap.

I brewed it a few times and came out really nice. I lost a lot of beer due to absorbtion when dry hopping so would not use leaf for this recipe. I had a 3" layer on the top. Pellets are the way to go.

This is an interesting point. I've only got leaves.... and I've noticed in my current chinook IPA I'm fermenting, that I've got a thick layer on top and I didn't dry hop with anywhere near as much as the PIPA asks for. I'll have to get some pellets.

I think I'd like to try this in the Fermentasaurus, and ferment under pressure.. I'll keep you updated as to how it goes :)

If i remember correctly when i brewed or tried to brew a 23l batch i ended up with around 30bottles. Also because not all the hops were really in contact it was not particularly smellly. I switched to pellets around that time and ended up with lots more beer. Let us know how you get on with the fermentasaurus, sounds like a cool bit of kit.

If i remember correctly when i brewed or tried to brew a 23l batch i ended up with around 30bottles. Also because not all the hops were really in contact it was not particularly smellly. I switched to pellets around that time and ended up with lots more beer. Let us know how you get on with the fermentasaurus, sounds like a cool bit of kit.

It'll be my first brew with the fermentasaurus. But I've watched loads of YouTube reviews and brews... it looks good. I like the idea of a single stage fermentation and being able to remove the Trub using the collection jar. But most fun is the idea of fermenting under pressure, which I guess would cut out the need to condition it after. Maybe making for a nice and fast fermentation... I don't know if quality would suffer though.

It'll be my first brew with the fermentasaurus. But I've watched loads of YouTube reviews and brews... it looks good. I like the idea of a single stage fermentation and being able to remove the Trub using the collection jar. But most fun is the idea of fermenting under pressure, which I guess would cut out the need to condition it after. Maybe making for a nice and fast fermentation... I don't know if quality would suffer though.

Probably improves it as no oxygen can get to it. Gash slug video looks good. Sadly i dont have a big enough fridge to use one. Off topic but this is a great recipe i have made a lot might interest you. Jaipur clone https://recipes.brewuk.co.uk/view-recipe/74

Ooh Thornbridge Jaipur is a great tipple. I have one in my fridge actually, so I may actually taste it again this evening. I'll look at the recipe for sure.

I don't have a fermentation fridge.. which I know every says is a big benefit. I have a tall fridge for my kegerator (gets delivered tomorrow) - So if I wanted to compromise my beer tap, I could brew in a fridge.. but my office at home with no radiators on is a consistent 20c. Which should be a good fermentation temp for the most part of the process right?

Latest posts

Back