Newbie with quick question

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Baroni

Reaction score
Hello there people.
returning to brewing after many years away and glad to see such a range of products available to the amateur,and a chance to get away from that aweful familiar 'homebrew' taste we all secretly dreaded.
I have some Hammer of Thor in a King keg,bought a new barrel top with S30 valve but it seems to be leaking..badly.i tried my old top and that also leaks,tightened fine and the rim/gasket is not leaking,the air is coming out of the valve sides,even under light pressure.what to do? should i get some new valve rubber gaskets? and if so where can i get hold of some,it will not hold in even a puff of air anymore,i may have over pressurised at first and warped the seal? top tap King Keg.any advice much appreciated.

By valve sides do you mean around the body of the valve or through the pin?
If it's around the body remove it from the lid and wrap it in a load of ptfe tape before reinstalling it.
If it's through the actual pin I'm not sure what's going on there they should be no return valves.

the air is not coming out of the pin,but out of the side,there is a hole there and a rubber band arrangement covering it,i bought one of the green tops which has a different valve to the King Keg style but both are leaking air through the rubber band area.

Hello there people.
returning to brewing after many years away and glad to see such a range of products available to the amateur,and a chance to get away from that aweful familiar 'homebrew' taste we all secretly dreaded.
I have some Hammer of Thor in a King keg,bought a new barrel top with S30 valve but it seems to be leaking..badly.i tried my old top and that also leaks,tightened fine and the rim/gasket is not leaking,the air is coming out of the valve sides,even under light pressure.what to do? should i get some new valve rubber gaskets? and if so where can i get hold of some,it will not hold in even a puff of air anymore,i may have over pressurised at first and warped the seal? top tap King Keg.any advice much appreciated.
The rubber band collar is a crude release valve that seeps C02 through the pin hole in the valve by lifting the rubber band collar around it,twist an elastic band over it a few times or as others have said a few wraps of ptfe around the pin hole before putting the rubber collar back on

What gods dog said, that's a very crude pressure release valve, be careful not to seal it up too tight with ptfe as you may blow the seam of your barrel, I'd test it with water and a couple of bulbs before putting your hard work in it

If you have bought something new and it doesn't work it's called faulty goods and you are entitled to a refund or a replacement from the supplier. And the more you fiddle about with it, the less likely you are to get said refund/replacement, since the supplier then has an excuse for claiming you have caused the problem.

thank you all very much,i ditched the green top (hambledon?) and went back to my old black king keg top,PTFE around the rubber band and then a band on top of that,seems to be holding it in fine now:smile:,wonderful.
however,the beer is flat as a pancake,is it ruined now or can i re invigorate this in any way

thank you all very much,i ditched the green top (hambledon?) and went back to my old black king keg top,PTFE around the rubber band and then a band on top of that,seems to be holding it in fine now:smile:,wonderful.
however,the beer is flat as a pancake,is it ruined now or can i re invigorate this in any way
If its flat then not enough co2 has been absorbed in the beer even if its pushing out the tap under pressure,I would give it a little more blast of co2 myself

Latest posts

Back