Brew fridge shelf

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Spike101uk

Regular.
Reaction score
Morning guys, so I'm currently building a shelf for my brewfridge , just a standard under counter fridge but need some advice on shelf material,

I'm looking at 9mm thick hard marine plywood and at 500mm by 400mm lenght and width, would 9mm be thick enough to hold a 23l bucket full, it seems the max I can fit into shelf runner.

I would say yes, but only way to be sure is to try it. You could always get a bit of 2 x 1 and fix it along the width of the fridge on the centre of the ply but inside the runners. That will take the bend out of it and act as a brace.

I'm with Bigcol on this one. You'll want some gaps for the air to flow around. This is mine, forget the upper shelf, just the lower one can easily be knocked up with a bit of wood, a saw and some nails.
20171022_170253.jpg

I'm with Bigcol on this one. You'll want some gaps for the air to flow around. This is mine, forget the upper shelf, just the lower one can easily be knocked up with a bit of wood, a saw and some nails.
20171022_170253.jpg

The bottom shelf in yours is very similar to what I have in my under bench fridge.

My hump only covers the back 1/4 of the fridge, I was planning drilling some vent holes in the sheet of ply to allow air flow

Screenshot_2017-11-30-11-44-01.jpg

My hump only covers the back 1/4 of the fridge,
. . .

Hi!
Your 9mm ply will riding in the bottom slots should easily hold an FV full of liquid - it looks as if the back quarter of it will rest on the "hump".
If you measure carefully you will get an FV on the shelf and there will be enough of a gap at the front for air circulation. That way you only need to drill vent holes at the rear.
I mounted my tubular heater to the door at the bottom with self-tapping screws - it sits under the FV but swings out of the way when the door is opened.
Interestingly, I found this when Googling - third one down looks like your fridge!
http://www.midlandscraftbrewers.org.uk/equipment/4589162313
Good idea, but where's the FV going to go?

I used a piece of ply and filled it full of holes with my hole saw....
But IF the airflow is that important why are fridges supplied with solid glass shelves? Seems a bit of a contradiction especially as the thermal mass of the fv is quite stable..

. . . IF the airflow is that important why are fridges supplied with solid glass shelves?
Hi!
There's always one who raises awkward questions. :grin:
I've just checked our fridge - the glass shelves do not extend to the rear wall of the compartment - circulation space!
If a solid ply shelf has enough space at the front and rear this should be ideal for circulation.
PS While checking the fridge, SWMBO says, "What are you after? You've just had your tea." :lol:

I used a chipboard shelf and made a little table which is the same height as the hump. There's enough of a gap front and back to allow warm air to circulate without drilling holes

Latest posts

Back