Out of date California Ale Yeast?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rogermort

Regular.
Reaction score
I’ve unearthed a sachet of WL Cal Ale WLP001 in the fridge. Use by date of April 17. Is it worth building a starter from or should I throw it away?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Yes, build a starter, but step it up.

Let's assume it was packaged this time last year, it's probably only ~5% viable (i.e. only 5 billion useful cells in the pack). You need 190 billion yeast cells for a 5 gallon batch. So...

Starter 1: 300ml (on a stir plate) will get you up to somewhere near 50 billion cells
Starter 2: 1000ml (on a stir plate) will get you up to somewhere near 190 billion cells

Don't be tempted just to go for the larger starter straight off the bat, the inoculation rate will be way too low and they'll be no beneficial growth.

Handy calculator to check your numbers: http://www.brewunited.com/yeast_calculator.php

Yes, build a starter, but step it up.

Let's assume it was packaged this time last year, it's probably only ~5% viable (i.e. only 5 billion useful cells in the pack). You need 190 billion yeast cells for a 5 gallon batch. So...

Starter 1: 300ml (on a stir plate) will get you up to somewhere near 50 billion cells
Starter 2: 1000ml (on a stir plate) will get you up to somewhere near 190 billion cells

Don't be tempted just to go for the larger starter straight off the bat, the inoculation rate will be way too low and they'll be no beneficial growth.

Handy calculator to check your numbers: http://www.brewunited.com/yeast_calculator.php

So if I did step one tomorrow (Thursday) and stepped it up to step two on Saturday evening, do you think it would be viable for a 23 litre batch by Monday PM?

So if I did step one tomorrow (Thursday) and stepped it up to step two on Saturday evening, do you think it would be viable for a 23 litre batch by Monday PM?

I reckon so. All the sites I've read where people research it say a max of 2 days on a stir plate, though some like to pitch anywhere between 12 to 24 hours when it's at high krausen so 48 hours per step is plenty. This would still give you enough time to chill the first starter and pour the wort off before stepping up if you wanted to.

I have used out of date liquid before with no problem. I will say though the last yeast i bought was only a month old and the starters went off like a rocket. Big difference in vitality. Goes to show why its good to make a starter.

Back