Absolute basic TC recipe?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Zakrabbit

Reaction score
Hi All,

Ive read dozens of threads, but im still a tad confused (dont take much!)

Im planning of trying my first, 1gal TC. I just want to know some basic pointers and numbers to get me started,

i'd be most grateful for some answers to the following questions -

1. What SG to aim for?
2. Total starting sugars (although I suspect thats much the same as Q1?)
3. How much of my 5L should be juice?
4. What FG to aim for?

Im hoping to batch prime for carbonation with this one and then back sweeten with something non fermentable

Cheers
Martin

Hi Zakrabbit.
1 - depends how drunk you want to get! you would normally get around 4.5% ABV without adding any sugar, if you want higher then add more sugar. This page gives a rough guide how much sugar to add for a certain ABV (remember to include the sugar in the juice.
2. As above
3. As much as possible. The only water I add is a cup of black tea for tanin.
4. Let it ferment out. If you use a wine/champagne/cider yeast you want around 0.994.

SG with tc I don't bother, just use the juice straight from the carton gives you a 5% brew without adding any sugar. I usually use 3ltr aj and 1ltr other 100% juice ie:pineapple/grapefruit/raspberry n apple or just another aj. Then your 250ml teabag tannin with sweetener tabs if required. You can then top up with another half ltr aj when initial fermentation has died down or use aj to prime for a fizzy cider.
I usually take a reading to make sure its finished which can range from 995-1000fg depending what yeast you used.
Just experiment and you'll find one you like, I've been adding juice of 1 lime to mine lately which works well IMO. rather than adding a tsp of citric.
Just ask on here if not sure about anything, it really is simple.

well im going for a pure apple for first shot at it. I think I have enough info now to stand a decent chance!

Just waiting for the yeast to be delivered! Its only coming from a nearby village - but to have driven there and back was four times the postage cost!

Well, its in the FV. 6L sainsburys 100% apple juice, 200ml strong black Yorkshire Tea, juice of a lime, nutrient, pectolase, bit of bentonite, and a sachet of HomebrewOnlines cider yeast.

Time will tell

Well, its in the FV. 6L sainsburys 100% apple juice, 200ml strong black Yorkshire Tea, juice of a lime, nutrient, pectolase, bit of bentonite, and a sachet of HomebrewOnlines cider yeast.

Time will tell
Sounds good, I bet you'll want to backsweeten it though when its finished, we'll see.

Despite being on the controlled heat mat, it seems that fermentation has all but stopped, in fact the water level in the airlock this morning was such that atmospheric pressure is higher than internal! So ive taken a reading - 1.006. I'll give it another couple of days to be certain. Thats just over 5 days in the FV

Edit - after a qood swirl, its bubbling again, every 1-2min. This mornings stoppage might have been down to a temperature dip overnight. The heat mat is time controlled, not thermostatically

well, for better or worse its now bottled.

It stopped at 1.004, tasting the sample to me it was slightly sweet, but the missus said too dry, so I sweetened the sample jar until she was happy, then worked out how much to put in the full brew, which came to a full bottle (50ml) of Youngs sweetener. Knowing the missus isnt the most reliable witness, I chose to half that and only put 20ml in! Plus then 45g of sugar to batch prime.

It didnt taste too bad so im hoping it will carb up and mature nicely

Back