Hydrometer

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Piperbrew

Reaction score
After my failure with a kit the other day, very sweet which I think might have been partly too much priming sugar, but possibly a 'stuck' fermentation issue to. Reason being I did increase the SG by adding DME.

I thought it was ready to barrel as there were no more bubbles and I left it a couple of days more. Trouble was my hydrometer had readings for beer and wine on it, an alcohol estimator and lots of colours, I think Alan Turing and the Bletchly Park team would have struggled to read it! So I have bought a simple beer hydrometer but my question is what will be the reading when fermention is complete? Does it vary from beer to beer and if it does how do you know what your target reading will be?

Cheers

Pete

Most beers will end up somewhere around 1.010 +/- 0.002. It's mainly governed by what sort of yeast you have used (some attenuate better than others) and where you started out especially if you are brewing high ABV beers. Sometimes a brew will 'stick' ahead of where it should finish because the yeast decides its had enough, more on that here.
Simple strategies for dealing with stuck fermentations
If you are struggling to read a hydrometer try this.
How to measure Specific Gravity using a Homebrew Hydrometer - The HomeBrew Forum

Latest posts

Back