Woodfordes Wherry Review

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I've just made this as it was only £15 from wilko but used gervin yeast instead of the kit yeast, been bottled for 9 days so I've just tried one for test purposes and am amazed at how good it is,put it this way I've just been on a golf trip and tried a wye valley ale at the hotel i was staying and the wherry knocks spots off that. a proper bargain and will be straight down and buy another ASAP

Dad put one on a few weeks ago from wilko's when they were £15. Had a pint last night...even a little cloudy it's still a great beer. If I remember rightly the sickly sweetness abates a little after it's had adequate time to condition (couple of weeks at least.)

Lovely beer :cheers:

had one on the go for 10 days now and it stuck at 10.20. just put it in a water bath with a fish tank heater set at 22 and the airlock has started to bubble again. hopefully that does the trick and gets it to drop some more. will look at it again on Saturday to see the results. it smells really nice i must say.

Did one of these kits last year. it stuck at 1020 as so many of them do. Re-pitched with S04 yeast and bottled at 1014. It took a very long time to clear, and had a hint of plastic taste early on. it matured in to a very nice drink, in my opinion, better than the Wherry I was served from a pub not so long ago.

i brewed this as my first ever at the start of the yr with my woodfordes brew kit and it was lovely. about 4% it turned out.

will buy again as super kit/ hoping the new woodfordes sundew will be as nice.

I have pursuaded the wife to let me open my kit before xmas and have just set my first ever brew going - Woodfords Wherry for xmas here we come!!

Did exactly what it said on the box but added 100g of muscovado sugar, made the full 23l.

Tasted some of the malt that was in the cans and it smelt and tasted lovely :D i hope the finished product tastes as good.

OG was 1.41 and my target is 1.1 to leave around 4.2% ABV.

OG was 1.41 and my target is 1.1 to leave around 4.2% ABV.

I hope you mean SG 1.042 and FG 1.010......

Wherry really is a cracking pint - I had one last night from a batch I brewed in July (got a nice stash of brews going now) and it was absolutely wonderful, just gets better and better the longer you leave it. Definately my favpourite 2-can kit, and I've brewed a lot of them.

Just put another on and dry-hopped it with some Goldings, so it'll be interesting to see how this one turns out. :thumb:

4 days in and at 1.018 from 1.041 - pleased it didnt seem to stick at 1.020 but the fermentation head is dwindling :sulk:

Slate Miner said:
Just started my 2nd Wherry, decided to tweak it slightly this time, the idea coming from another site. :oops: :whistle:

I followed the normal instructions, stiring in an added 250 gms of dried spray malt with the cans of malt extract and boiled water, made up slightly short to 21 litres before pitching the yeast. OG 1048.

I have some cascade hops left over from a recent dry hopped BB IPA, so the plan is to dry hop this Wherry with 30 gms of the Cascade in about 7 days time after the initial fermentation has calmed down. :hmm:

I'll report back in 6-8 weeks with the initial results. :cheers:

As promised an update on my Wherry 'tweak'. :thumb:

I did indeed add 30gms of loose cascade hops to the brew, fermentation in the FV was longer than usual, appeared to be just slow rather than stuck, taking 3 weeks in all. The FG was 1012 so ended up with ABV 4.8%. :cheers:

The addition of the extra spray malt and brewing short has certainly produced an ale with more body, slightly stronger than your standard Wherry, but still nicely balanced, the added cascade hops also give a lovely aroma. :thumb: Incidently the original 'tweak' suggests Goldings hops, I just used Casacde as this is what had left over from a previous brew.

I'd really recommend this 'tweak', yes it's pushed up the cost per pint a little, but well worth it in my view. The best kit I've brewed to date. :drink:

Sounds very nice - did you just add the hops into the beer during fermentation or did you do a hop tea??

mattrickl06 said:
Sounds very nice - did you just add the hops into the beer during fermentation or did you do a hop tea??

Chucked in 30gms of loose Cascade hops into the FV after the initial fermentation had slowed down (about 1 week) then scooped out the hops with a sterilised sieve just before bottling. :thumb:

Just got one from Wilkinsons for £18 (bag of brewing sugar included - though they made a fuss) They've taken the signs down now, so if you're near a wilkinsons that still advertise "a free bag of sugar with any 40 pint kit" it's probably worth getting a wherry while you still can.

Am looking forward to brewing this at the weekend. All the reviews sound very positive.

LeedsBrewer - Had the EXACT same experience in a Sheffield Wilkinsons, with regards to the free bag of sugar. This was about 3 weeks back, so it appears they haven't made a nationwide change on taking the signs down.

My Wherry has now been in the keg for nearly 2 weeks. I lost all pressure due to an overzealous pressure valve, so changed the cap for one with an S30 valve and the pressure is now very good (without any CO2 added yet!).

Tastes slightly bland, with a sweet aftertaste. Might just be my blocked nose though!

Hi guys,

Just to add a note: same deal with Wilkinsons in Bristol - signs were very contradictory, the guy serving us was very helpful, the manager didn't even engage in eye contact with me, which is a pretty poor show in my book. He honoured the offer but they were puzzled about the signs - so I'd suggest that the days of free priming sugar with your Wherry from Wilko's in Bristol are now gone :-(

well after the dreaded 10.20 stick i did manage to get it down to 10.12. its been kegged for a week and i just tried a sneaky sample. not too impressed with it to be honest. i know its young so i do hope its gets better by christmas.
i brewed up a Sampson bitter a few months back and really enjoyed that. the wherry has a way to go to match that as yet.

My wherry is now about 5 months old and has really improved. It is great from about a month but the longer the better.

I have kegged my first attempt at a AG clone and i must admit it is near as i can get it, a little too bitter which should mellow in a few weeks and ready for xmas.

Latest posts

Back