Orange Clove Mead - Clover honey?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

The Goatreich

Landlord.
Reaction score
I'm looking to make the following mead recipe, but I'm not sure where I can find clover honey. Anyone have any ideas?

The recipe is from www.stormthecastle.com
1 gallon of Spring Water
Yeast: Fleishcmanns (1 packet)
25 Raisins
1 Cinnamon stick
1 whole orange, sliced and peels included
1 pinch of allspice
1 pinch of nutmeg
3 1/2 pounds of clover honey
1 whole clove

Any Honey will do, It's the pollen the bee's collect to make the honey that gives it a very subtle difference in taste and given clover grows wild throughout the UK, most UK honey will be some kind of variant, Besides, Most store bought honeys are a blend of different honeys collected from hives up and down the country. Try different brands or go for the likes of asdas extra special range for a deep colour and unique flavour :cheers:

Yep, I'm in no rush but would quite like to have some ready for christmas. If it's not then it's no bother. The recipe says that it's ready to drink or bottle when the oranges sink, but recommends bottling and aging for a few months. I've no idea how long it will take for the oranges to sink, but regardless I'm going to bottle it into some of the many clear beer bottles I collected and now can't use and leave it for as long as I can.

This is next up for my DJ. Looking forward to doing it. 6 months is a long wait though...

Let me know how it turns out.

LeedsBrewer said:
6 months is a long wait though...
And the rest. Mine has been in the DJ since mid August and the oranges still haven't sank, suggesting that it isn't even ready to rack off yet. I might put it in a water bath to bring the temperature up to around 20C and see if this starts it off again.

Yeah I guess that could be it. It's my first mead so I wasn't sure what to expect, but I'd rather not ruin it by leaving it too long before racking.

I'll check it with the hydrometer and see where we are.

I leave it for about a month. Then I rack it. I keep an eye then on settled out yeast and continue to rack a few more times.

I think it will be ok to sit on the yeast a bit longer. I think you need to get the mead off the lees if using Lavlin D47.

Is this the batch that was started on August 19th? That's nearly 3 months, unless something's gone quite wrong that should be well fermented! Take a hydrometer reading as if it's quite dry then you may need to take it off the yeast (if there's no sugar left for the yeast to feed on it may start autolysis and produce off flavours.) The meads I've done have always been fermented out by 4-6 weeks, well, that's when I've racked and checked them and they've been fine. Rack if you need to and leave for another month or two to clear in the demi, then rack and bottle and forget about again for another couple of months!

Latest posts

Back