Ken Ridge Shiraz on the go.

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ScottM

Landlord.
Reaction score
A couple of months ago I made a Ken Ridge Cabernet/Shiraz and having tried it very early I'm over the moon with it. Although it was lovely I had some ideas for improving it, first of which was the lowly 12% ABV from it. For me a full bodied red should be around 13% so I decided to have a little fiddle.

The Shiraz kit was delivered today so I popped off to Asda for some supplies. I poured in the grape concentrate, rinsed out the bag with 2L of water and then poured in 4L of pressed red grape juice. I then topped up with another 8L of water. As expected this took me to 24L but I'm not overly concerned about that as I think the 4L of juice will more than cover what I was looking for. I checked the OG and got 1.095, which adjusted to take account of the hydrometer error is 1.090.... BINGO. As long as it ferments out to the 0.995 mark I'll be right on the money.

The instructions say to add the oak chips etc at the primary stage, but I've decided to hold them back for the secondary. I'm going to give it 2 weeks in the primary, again contrary to the instructions, and then I'll transfer into the secondary for 2 weeks and add the oak chips etc. After that I'll de-gas the wine and add the stopper etc. I'll give it a day or so then de-gas again, repeat until confident it's done. Once finished I'll add the finings and stick it in the depths of my loft for a few months.

Do you think it's worthwhile racking it again before adding the finings, to get rid of the oak chips etc, or will it be better to leave them in the wine for ageing etc? It'll be at least 3 months though.

I've not done that specific kit, but I have done some with the oak chips, and I always added them into the primary ferment and got perfectly good results from that :thumb:

BigYin said:
I've not done that specific kit, but I have done some with the oak chips, and I always added them into the primary ferment and got perfectly good results from that :thumb:

Yeah that's exactly what I did with the last kit. Reading around and based on normal recommendation it's generally said that the oak chips should be in for ageing. Much like would be the case if ageing in an oak barrel.

Bearing that in mind, I'm going to put them in for the ageing and see how it turns out. I'm going to rack a second time so that I can leave any extra sediment behind.

So the plan has changed a little but is as follows...

2 weeks in the primary with nothing.
2 weeks in secondary with nothing.
Rack into final vessel.
Add Potassium Metabisulphite and degass over a couple of days
Add Potassium Sorbate
Add Finings
Add Oak Chips
Sit out the way until current stash is dry.
Rack into bottling bucket.
Bottle.

Bingo bango :D
Add finings

Back