Corny setup. What's required for a starter setup

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fbsf

Landlord.
Reaction score
Whurr the ol' M5 crosses the ancient M4...
Hi all,

As Crimbo is approaching, I'm being asked by Swmbo what I would like. I quite like the idea of a corny or two as I have grown quite fond of dispensing beer from my pressure barrel, but was wondering what would be needed?

I'm guessing at the corny itself, a can of CO2 (can this be an S30, or does it have to be a big one?) and some method of dispensing the beer from it.

Any kitlists and/or rough prices would be welcome. I see Norm does the cornies for £70ish, but am not sure what else I'd need...

You can use soda stream cans, etc but (in my opinion) it's an expensive way to go in the long run.

Ideally you'd get :

Corny
Regulator
C02 cylinder
Gas & beer disconnects
Tubing
Tap to dispense

That'll be enough to get started and will also incorporate future kegs that you will inevitably buy..........I've now got 6!

Also, buy everything from Norm (link in the top section of this page) and don't try to save a few quid buying from an unknown source. Norms come in great condition fully reconditioned and will last forever if you look after them.

K

Can I point out now that there's no such thing as 'a corny or two'.
They're as rampant as rabbits...... :D

The hardest thing to sort out is gas supply. Norms gas bottles can be hard to get refilled so its worth finding a local supplier and getting one from there.

......or just open an account with BOC.

Piece of cake. Easy to deal with and no bottle deposits. Cost's £3 a month but easily worth it.

K

fbsf said:
Hmm, how much are we talking for the smallest BOC cylinder though? And is there any benefit of going for CO2/N2 vs plain old CO2?

Don't know what the smallest is but I buy a size AB and it's about £21. That'll last me over a year and I run 6 cornies.

K

Nope. That's covered in your 3 a month.

Bottles are always spotless and you can have as many as you want. Don't know why more people dont use BOC. It seems daft to me when I see posts about converted fire extinguishers, etc.

K

When I started with cornies I was told to go to various wholesalers, etc and had varied responses and varying prices for cylinders. In summary it was going to cost me about £100 to get gas and then about £30 a time every fill up.

Two minute call to BOC and I had an account setup. The day after I had my gas in a new clean and SAFE cylinder.

If you want, you can also get your propane and all sorts from them at very reasonable prices.

K

Latest posts

Back