a basic question from a basic novice....strength

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cheagavara

Reaction score
hi all, i know this is basic but its my first post so be gentle with me.
i have read the calculation section and understand it, but how do i work out the strength of a cider or wine if sugar is added during fermentation? i read a book ( i know...one book and an expert lol) and they were talking about adding more sugar during fermentation untill it stops.
now if i do this how can i calculate how stron my cider will be? or alternativly is this a real silly idea?
hope this makes sense and thanks for looking.

According to Brewmate 1 kg of sugar in 23 litres would add 2.2% alcohol

This assumes that all the sugar gets used up and you don't start to kill off your yeast with too much alcohol.

The question is, why would you want to? You're better off producing a cider that tastes good than one that's super strong but awful.

If you're talking about a cider kit I would make it according to the instructions

I agree with the above, you will make a far better tasting wine or cider if you don't go stupid with the sugar.

Sugar is a flavour diluter.

There is more to homebrewing than getting P*ssed surely. :wha: :wha:

However.... and I agree whole heartedly with the others. if you add extra fermentables to a brew to increase the alcohol content just add up all the points dropped . ie from 1.090 to say 1.000 for first part of ferment is a drop of 90, you then add some sugars take a reading say 1.050 and ferment out to 1.000 again that's a further drop of 50 points giving you a total drop of 90 points ( take no notice of these actual figures ) you can then work out the approx % abv.
Its only a rough and ready approximation.

Latest posts

Back