How to: Brew your first BIAB AG Beer

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
So is a good boil required (as opposed to a slight boil!). e.g. keep both elements on for the whole boil? I'm just thinking about my electricity bill!

calumscott said:
Oh yeah, and windows open is the order of the day... :lol:

I actually did have the window open too! It turns out that it has actually properly screwed my extractor fan! It wasn't that it just couldn't cope with the amount of steam, it was that water got into the controls and broke it good :( I have taken out the electric bits now and am letting them dry in the airing cupboard!! Fingers crossed lol

Rolfster said:
This is a great guide.

I think BIAB is going to work for me!

Now, where to get a pot from.......

Options for shiny:

1) if you are handy with the DIY, search the forum for "bergland" and email them then build your own.
2) if not give Rob at The Malt Miller a buzz and he'll build you a BIAB pot to your spec for a pretty reasonable price.

There are tons of how to guides and peoples build threads if you go DIY. Plastic and electric is also a good and cheap way to go, again, heaps of builds and how to guides here to help you. :thumb:

Rolfster said:
This is a great guide.

I think BIAB is going to work for me!

Now, where to get a pot from.......

There is also the option of using a 'tea urn' e.g. a 40l Buffalo which is popular for just over £100.

8871696244_605aa048f1_z.jpg

I have changed the tap with parts recommended by RPT

8734971589_afc2deba7b_z.jpg

This nylon mashing bag fits perfectly - http://www.the-home-brew-shop.co.uk/cgi ... 1_21496978

A great guide, I have been thinking about BIAB for a while and I think this has put me over the edge.
I think I'll start looking for gear.

I'm getting bored of doing kits now and this has definitely sent me on to BIAB. Is the taste that much better then?

gazkilla said:
I'm getting bored of doing kits now and this has definitely sent me on to BIAB. Is the taste that much better then?

Yes.

And if proof were needed, I've just started what are IMO three of the best kit beers on the market (short on time and beer, needs must...) - I'll let you know how they stack up in about a month and a bit...

gazkilla said:

Amazingly so! I brewed kits for almost 2 years and could never get rid of that 'home brew taste'. First BIAB (from this thread) was incredible and they had gotten better since! Go for it you won't regret it.

Latest posts

Back