Coopers Australian Lager - Yeast options

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

giraffe

Reaction score
Hi,

Just ordered a Coopers Australian Lager, Tesco have them back in stock at the reduced price still. Not done this kit before but have done a few other Coopers and thinking of making a couple of tweaks.

I don't like the yeast that comes with Coopers kits, I have found it too loose and find it always leaves a bit of a yeasty taste. So, I was wondering what other yeasts might work well. I am kinda ruling out a true lager yeast as I can't get below around 20c in my tiny flat. I have been trying to find some ale yeasts that will produce a clean lager-ish taste to them. Was thinking US-05 or White labs seem to have some like WLP007 that say they are clean and very dry. Any suggestions?

I also have some Amarillo hops left over from an extract brew, was thinking of creating a hop tea with them too. Not a usual lager hop, think it will work?

how about WLP029 German Ale/ Kölsch Yeast , and i can say i really like kolsch lager , it's like lager would be if breweries gave a s**t what they brewed and ferments between 18/21c so ideal for you .

Not sure I have ever had a Kölsch :shock:

Sounds good though, was just looking at the liquid yeasts and they are expensive compared to dry. The yeast would cost nearly as much as the kit!

Think I will give it a go though, fancy doing some experimenting.

with liquid yeasts you get 4L of boiled cooled water and 400g of dried malt extract boiled in the water (10 mins to sterilize ) once cooled you pitch the lot into a demi j and ferment for about 5 days or so then mix all up and put into around 10 of 330ml plastic bottles (fizzy water bottles ) and now you have 10 vials of yeast instead of 1 , now when ready to brew get 1L of water and 100g of dme boil and cool and pitch the lot and ferment for around 3 days and pitch the lot into your brew :thumb: and when your down to your last bottle or 2 mix up a big batch of 400g and 4L again and make 10 more vials , you can repeat this around 5 times . When/if you do AG you can mash grains instead of dme which is cheaper still.

Thanks for tips, I guess it ends up cheaper doing that.

So not only will I have beer on the go, but I will have to start cultivating yeast too :P I will become popular in my household.

Ive didnt realise you could do that, do you freeze them or keep them in the fridge? How long do they last?

you keep em in the fridge , as long as you use a starter i think you have around 6 to 12 months depending how healthy yeast was/is and you just make a new batch so then you have more time.

Awesome im definately doing this, havnt tried a liquid yeast yet due to the price.

giraffe said:
I also have some Amarillo hops left over from an extract brew, was thinking of creating a hop tea with them too. Not a usual lager hop, think it will work?
I've just bottled an AG lager made with amarillo hops, I'm hoping it's going to be good, it tastes pretty good at the moment

Just wondering could you do the same thing with a dry packet yeast, i know your not meant to do a starter with dry yeast but is it ok to grow it? If not ill have to wait until my next online order because my lhbs dont stock liquid yeasts anymore

Back