keggle

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kwazulu

Reaction score
Hi all,

I managed to pick up an old keg yesterday which I am planning on turning into a keggle. It's still more than half full, but I have no idea how long the chap had it for, it was just sitting on his drive for a while. Anyhow, after doing a bit of research, I undestand I need to release the pressure before attempting to cut an opening. I took a screw driver to the seal and a small amount of gas was released, now, nothing. i keep pressing the seal down, but no gas escaping. am I missing a trick here? or do you think that the keg is that old that there is just no more gas in the keg?

any hints/tips etc welcome.

thanks in advance.

31bb3 said:
best thing before doing anything is check with kegwatch as it might be owned by a brewery and they have the power to repossess
+1

best to check before you work and spend on it making it a thing of beauty that u then feel paranoid about showing anyone.. if a keg of interest to em (owned by a member brewery) they will come n take it away but if not of interest to em you can do with it what u want and post the pics to make us all drool with envy....

rats! in some ways I am regretting asking my question, but good shout! I will call them tomorrow.

Woah!!!

Don't call them until you've figured out if the contents are still consumable!!! ;)

Make sure it's empty first!

(But yes, be sure to call them when there is only a keg in question.)

calumscott said:
Woah!!!

Don't call them until you've figured out if the contents are still consumable!!!
The bit of gas (and beer) I managed to get out of it yesterday didn't smell too good so gave Kegwatch a call this morning, they will be collecting the keg in a few weeks time. :( Looks like it's back to the drawing board for me. oh well... a keggle was probably a step too soon anyway, so the hunt continues for a large enough pot.

slightly off topic, calumscott, are there any homebrew clubs in the Oxford area?

kwazulu said:
calumscott said:
Woah!!!

Don't call them until you've figured out if the contents are still consumable!!!
The bit of gas (and beer) I managed to get out of it yesterday didn't smell too good so gave Kegwatch a call this morning, they will be collecting the keg in a few weeks time. :( Looks like it's back to the drawing board for me. oh well... a keggle was probably a step too soon anyway, so the hunt continues for a large enough pot.

slightly off topic, calumscott, are there any homebrew clubs in the Oxford area?

Aleman said:
The Oxford Brewers Group meet regularly, and hosted this years National Competition back in september

'E knows everything that fella!

You from round these parts kwazulu?

Why do I get the feeling that when you return a 'lost keg' they probaly dont give you the deposit the person paid for it? :twisted:

Antony said:
Why do I get the feeling that when you return a 'lost keg' they probaly dont give you the deposit the person paid for it? :twisted:

Because then you would start nicking them for the value of the deposits? :doh:

calumscott said:
Antony said:

Because then you would start nicking them for the value of the deposits? :doh:

(Not that we did that as kids with Barr's juice bottles or anything...)

calumscott said:
You from round these parts kwazulu?

I am in Wootton, near the Harley Davidson garage.

They should run a rewards scheme, return 5 kegs, keep 1.

Antony said:
Kegwatch actually charge the brewery who own the keg a 'Finders Fee' to return it :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:

Aleman said:
Kegwatch actually charge the brewery who own the keg a 'Finders Fee' to return it :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:

Well that's a bit pants

Latest posts

Back