No Chill Cube

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fergi007

Reaction score
Hi all. Was recently looking through some recipe post and came across a technique I have no heard of before. It was the no chill cube.
Was wandering if someone could give me a quick overview of this technique with pro's and con's.
Cheers Wayne

hi
it just means that you put your newly boiled wort in it straight from the boiler to cool down overnight instead of using a copper chiller.

No cons that I can see, have one cooling as I type.

From boiler into cube, leave to cool, into FV tomorrow and pitch yeast.

Means I can brew in the evenings

I've used it and made a beer that's really promising (AG newbie). Only 2 weeks in bottles, but clear as a bell and really tasty. I won't be in a rush to buy an immersion cooler, but I think some might see some bad sides, but in my experience, it's often people who haven't used one. I listen to basic brewing radio... they did a blind taste test and it came back that there was little or nothing between them. Interesting listen.

Thanks all for replies and sorry for the late acknowledgment as I've been off line vfor a short while.

One potential con is the fact that the cube is not an easy shape to clean and sanitize so you need to be careful with that aspect but I would recommend it, its a tried and tested approach. :thumb:

ive done 4 brews wih no chill.... :party:

no particular problems and my last beer is the best ive made ...

i did throw the cube into my pot to chill it quicker ,

there easy to clean ,
empty into fv then swill out with cold water ,
store with a pint or two of light bleach solution,
before refilling ,rinse then add near boiling water to clean,

then the near boiling wort goes in after boiling ...

Back