Basic extract brewing question

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Edindie

Reaction score
I'm considering stepping up to extract brewing but before I go any further I want to understand the science a little better. Everyone seems to agree that AG brews need to be boiled in as large amount of water as possible (30L for a 23L batch for example); is this because the water will absorb more of the sugars which are held in the barley? Assuming this to be the case, why do you need to have a large pot for extract brewing? Couldn't you boil any speciality malts you have in a smaller pan (in proportion to the lesser amount of grain), the hops in a second pan, and then add everything together with DME in the FV?

Most people would agree that you need to boil at least some of your DME with the hops to "fix" them into the wort. You certainlty don't need to boil it all, just disolve it and reach boiling point for hygiene is sufficient. I used to find that DME foamed like crazy when you boiled too much so I'd just use a bit of it after I'd dissolved the bulk. I've made some nice beers in a 5l pressure cooker!
Just hop as you would an AG recipe in as much liquid (containing some malt) as you can manage to get the best hop utilisation. The bigger your boil the better to get the hop flavours out but you can rinse the hops in a sieve to get more flavour out, as well :cheers:

The isomerization of alpha acids (the bittering components in hops) into isoalpha acids occurs more efficiently in a dilute solution than it does in a concentrated solution. Another thing to think about is that one generally achieves a better "hot break" in a full boil. Achieving a good hot break leads to clearer and more stable beer. Finally, boiling and chilling the entire contents of one's fermentation vessel leads to a cleaner fermentation. Contrary to what you may believe, tap water does not have to be microflora free to pass health codes. It merely has to be pathogen (deadly microflora) free to pass health codes. One of the historical reasons for beer's existence was that boiling killed off all of the pathogens in the local drinking water supply; thereby, making it potable.

For extract brewing many recipes will say something like use 10 l of water and add your dme and hops and boil for 60 mins then add enough tap water to make up to 23l in your fv with boiled dme water , pitch yeast when temp correct . Because us are using less water some of the bitterness will be lower than if you'd boiled up 30 l so just add 5 to 10 % more hops than an ag recipe asks for .

Latest posts

Back