Bulldog Evil dog double IPA

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mattyhall22

Landlord.
Reaction score
After wanting to do this kit for ages it finally arrived :)

umegy6y5.jpg

I cleaned and sanitised all the equipment, the wort in a bag design in the box is great. Warmed the bag up in water, poured easily out and then rinsed the bag with hot water. I gave the wort a really good stir and got it nice and aerated.

e3u6ete7.jpg

Looks like a giant pint :)

Pitched the yeast straight onto the foam
ydysudan.jpg

OG at 25c was
ugane8ym.jpg

2 hours later and the yeast is cracking on already, can't wait :)

I just knocked this up today after getting it last week all my FV s were full so that's why it took so long to get going read great reviews so looking forward to it

Hmmm - I got mine on the go yesterday (pics in the review thread) but still no sign of movement this morning. Worried I may have done something wrong but I can't think what! I gave the hot wort a massive mix then added the cold water to get the temp down and brewed just short of 23 litres. I did have to wait for an hour for it to cool to a decent temp (about 23) then I stirred it vigorously again and pitched the yeast - just sprinkled on top rather than making up with water and mixing. I'm hoping it's set off by the time I get home today - how long should I leave it before panicking and trying to get some more yeast in. I noted on the review page someone said it took a day and a half to get going. Fingers very much crossed.

ClarenceBoddicker said:
Hmmm - I got mine on the go yesterday (pics in the review thread) but still no sign of movement this morning. Worried I may have done something wrong but I can't think what! I gave the hot wort a massive mix then added the cold water to get the temp down and brewed just short of 23 litres. I did have to wait for an hour for it to cool to a decent temp (about 23) then I stirred it vigorously again and pitched the yeast - just sprinkled on top rather than making up with water and mixing. I'm hoping it's set off by the time I get home today - how long should I leave it before panicking and trying to get some more yeast in. I noted on the review page someone said it took a day and a half to get going. Fingers very much crossed.

I think we've all panicked when a brew hasn't started within 24 hrs but I've had a few that's taken up to 48 hrs so don't panic yet :thumb:

Cheers Trucker. Up and running, phew. We'll have to compare notes Matty and Ian with these start dates being about the same. My OG looked about 1067. Good luck with it. Smells good already by the way.

ClarenceBoddicker said:
Cheers Trucker. Up and running, phew. We'll have to compare notes Matty and Ian with these start dates being about the same. My OG looked about 1067. Good luck with it. Smells good already by the way.

Good stuff mate, if it smells good now it'll smell even better when you get the hops in :thumb:

Quick question on this as someone lacking experience: Has anyone racked this to secondary for any length of time and if so - when would you add the hops? I want it hoppy and was going to add a couple of days prior to bottling as per instructions. If I do go with a secondary to try and clear it, would I add the hops towards the end of that or should I not mess around and just follow orders!

I'll post this in the review link too I think.

Thanks in advance.

ClarenceBoddicker said:
Quick question on this as someone lacking experience: Has anyone racked this to secondary for any length of time and if so - when would you add the hops? I want it hoppy and was going to add a couple of days prior to bottling as per instructions. If I do go with a secondary to try and clear it, would I add the hops towards the end of that or should I not mess around and just follow orders!

Thanks in advance.

if your moving to secondary add the hops towards end of that and then bottle as normal. If your bringing temp down for secondary I would bring it back up to 18 C when adding hops, don't know if that's the right way but that's what I'd do

ian808 said:
ClarenceBoddicker said:

Thanks in advance.

if your moving to secondary add the hops towards end of that and then bottle as normal. If your bringing temp down for secondary I would bring it back up to 18 C when adding hops, don't know if that's the right way but that's what I'd do

That's exactly what I did Ian, turned out fine :drunk:

mattyhall22 said:
Loads of activity in mine, big krausen and smells great :cheers:

I remember when mine was brewing, it was very active too and seemed to go on much longer than usual so don't be surprised if it lasts 2-3 weeks :shock:

Mine took about 36 hours to start showing signs of activity. It's been in FV for 7 days now, gravity down to 1013 so still got a few days to go before bottling. Think will have to leave it for longer than my standard 2 weeks and will add the hops about 2-3 days before bottling. On the other note, I obviously had to taste the sample (research purposes :D ) and its got a very hot alcoholic taste to it. I've never brewed anything that strong so can only hope it will mellow out with time. Apart from the hot alco taste, its very nice and aromatic already and has all the signs of an excellent brew. Cannot wait to taste the final result :drink:

Trucker5685 said:
mattyhall22 said:
Loads of activity in mine, big krausen and smells great :cheers:

I remember when mine was brewing, it was very active too and seemed to go on much longer than usual so don't be surprised if it lasts 2-3 weeks :shock:

mine has been a week in FV and I'd normally move to secondary just to clean all the **** round top of FV but there is still a whole lot of foam with no sign of going so will leave it longer

Mine's been on the go for a week today - not sure how much activity still going on as no airlock but there was a fair bit of foam on top when I looked last. Will leave until the weekend before I check gravity and decide whether to rack to secondary or add the hops and bottle when the gravity is low enough.

mattyhall22 said:
Yeah mine still has a massive krausen head on it, will be day 7 tomorrow, going to give mine 10 days or so and then hop it :cheers:

I wouldn't rush it Matty, be patient and you'll get yourself a better pint.

Believe me it's worth the wait :thumb:

Just want to run some 'New Bloke' logic past someone: I will check gravity on Friday (10 days) and if it's where it should be I want to add the hops at day 12, leave until day 14 and then put finings through it for 2 days, rack and batch prime before bottling half and putting half in barrel. Does this sound like sense? Obviously if the gravity is off I'll wait and probably repeat the process the week after.

:cheers:

Back