Sticky's Spaceship

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

leondz

Regular.
Reaction score
A friend requested I brew him a beer. Everything was to be "about normal" - aroma, bitterness, maltiness - apart from a chestnut colour, and about 5% strength (normal :) ). This was until I showed him a list of malts and he went mad for the biscuit one! So, here's the partial extract recipe I whipped up:

20L final length

1 kg Light dry extract
500g Medium dry extract
1.5kg Amber liquid extract (mm!)
1 kg Biscuit malt
100g Wheat malt
70g Chocolate malt

60 minutes mash at 67 (cooled down to about 60 over the mash though, I have no tun)

60 minutes hard, vigourous boil;
40g Fuggles at 60
1tsp Irish moss at 10
20g Fuggles at 5

Fermentation started with a 2-pack 100ml starter of Danstar Nottingham, OG 1049 (Beer smith said 1053, I attribute the difference to the mash temp drop - should've perhaps shortened the beer a bit and not added so much water for the boil, but it's only 4 points off).

It dragged on until 2.30am. This serves me right for starting at 11pm. Lunacy.

This morning there's a big bulging lid on the ferm bucket, loads of foam and it's looking great!

These seem to be getting easier and easier, it's like riding a bike. When the readies turn up, I'm going to get that 10 gal AG set :party:

Haha thanks MD! I still have a Wraith Brewery bottle in the fridge (what could that be :hmm: waiting for the dining room to be fixed, I'm buggered if it's not getting any ceremony), and come to think of it, my take should've conditioned come the beginning of April so you know what happens then ;)

Back