Plastic corks for screw top bottles

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pete Oakley

Reaction score
This is getting silly, I'm down to my last 2 empty bottles with about another 7 gallons to bottle. Although I can get plenty of screw top wine bottles I really don't trust the idea of reusing those screw tops. Any ideas lads (and lassies)?
Pete.

Hi I've had wine under a screw top for over a year with no problems. However I only use the caps 2 or 3 times then replace them (keep the tops of used once unwanted bottles, saves a lot of space) Make sure you do them up tight and of course sterilise them first, Oh and check them for tightness once in a while and you should be ok

I've had no problems with reusing screw top bottles. I do make a point of soaking the lids in quite a strong steriliser solution though, just in case there's anything nasty up between the seal and the metal top..
The bottles will take a cork but plastic corks tend to be a bit tight on screw top bottles and as the flanges get folded, I worry about the quality of the seal.
For short term storage where I've wanted to clear FV's, I've also used 2L PETs with no problems - actually, that worked out rather well because you can take a glass or two and then squeeze the sides to remove air before putting the top back on and popping it back in the fridge.

Thanks for your help. I have reused screw caps (after steralising) but I have some wine in FV's that I want to keep for at least 2 years, last years apple for one (will we ever get a harvest like that again?) 2 1/2 litres of juice made up to a gallon, it's fantastic now but it will improve with keeping.
Pete

Back