Real ale.

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Take your pick. I'd perhaps look at a 2 can woodfordes kit, brew it a couple of litres short and add dme/sugar/brew enhancer until you get to about 1065 gravity. That'll get you 6-7%

Be prepared to wait a while though. I would keep it in the fermenter for 2-3 weeks, carbonate in bottles for 2-3 weeks and leave it another 6 weeks to condition. It may take a while to get to its best.

You're welcome. Theres probably brewferm kits thats high abv too.

I can't recommend going all grain highly enough though :)

I see. If you're lager isn't the best, dont let it put you off. Not had great results from kit lagers personally. I've had very decent ales though.

Out of interest, what makes you specifically want such a strong ale?

Whenever I have been I'm pubs I have tried all ales and found that to be the best for me. I appreciate subtle tastes. My favourite is adnams broadside and I'd like to her as close as possible to it. Tescis had a special on the coopers lager kit which is why I have brewed it.

I'd go for the Norfolk Nog then. If it's important for you to up the abv (the kit suggests 4.6% anyway) as I say, add DME or a mix of DME & brewing sugar to get to the required gravity.

I doubt it'd develop many subtle flavours compared to the regular kit abv, but you could give it a go. Personally, I'd brew it 2L short and accept a fuller flavour and slightly higher abv (maybe 5.2%?) if I was going to make any changes. Often I find the best higher abv beers don't taste as strong as they are.

you could try the woodfordes headcracker i'm sure thats in the 7% range. i haven't tried it myself but its one i want to try in the future:hat:

Good shout its 7% but its a pale barley wine beer according to what id read (no where near barley wine strengths ofcourse) rather than a dark ale. Could be wrong mind

I've had my headcracker in the FV for 4 days now, it went off like a rocket, calmed down a bit now though. Thought it would be a nice winter warmer.

Latest posts

Back