Who posts to BFPO?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

milkfloat

Reaction score
I'm a total beginner to home brew. I live overseas where it's very difficult to find the necessary items to brew, really the only way I can get the items is to order them through BFPO (British Forces Post Office).

I just added lots of items to my shopping basket in an online store, before discovering that this particular supplier won't ship to BFPO. Can anyone recommend a good place that definitely ships to BFPO with no issues?

Cheers.

Have you tried your shadow postcode? Most places will just send to it directly, as they're none the wiser. Unless you're after the tax back.

Otherwise Amazon is good for BFPO postage, it's no different from being on tour. Obviously the usual weight and size restrictions will apply. Lot of eBay traders will also see you right. Finally email suppliers, quite often they do post, but you need to get a bit of chat going with someone in the company.

The final thing I'd suggest is with BFPO you could be anywhere, but if you're in a country that presumably allows alcohol, then chances are there's somewhere in your vicinity that might sell some of the stuff you need locally. Have a word with your LEC's.

What stuff are you after? I've used protein tubs as a Demi john, drill the lid and apply an asherman chest seal. Clean it out and sterilise (use a couple of puritabs), and you've a serviceable fermenting vessel with airlock. Fruit juice and sugars are readily available from the NAAFI or cook house. You've the basics of a fermenting setup. Use old pop bottles for your finished product.

Any further questions, ask away, I'm more than familiar with the use of the BFPO system.

Thanks for the replies. I have emailed Hop & Grape to see if they can post to BFPO.

Spud, I live in Tanzania. I'm not aware of any places around here that stock what i need, and if there was, it's probably not worth the effort dealing with traffic to get there!

The postcode won't work, as my address still has a specific BFPO mailbox number on it.

I'm after quite basic stuff - 20l fermenting buckets and the essential equipment for that. I'll also need dried malt extract and hopefully a dried beer kit...I assume beer kits are available dried?

Spud, mine isn't on that list, but that's an MoD list and mine (well, my partner's) is FCO/DFID. I wish my job is as interesting as you suggest!

I get you, embassy/office job, local affairs and development. Offering the proverbial fishing rod and lessons to the masses etc. Fair enough.

You've 2-3 options really. The most common one is keep emailing various companies, there will be a few of the smaller suppliers that will possibly be more willing to help you out. Andy and Sam at Colchester homebrew supplies for example are good folks who should be familiar with the military community, and the problems they face. Maybe drop them a line see what they can do.

Next on your list to try is see if any friends/family can help you out by picking up the bits you need, and arranging postage to you. It's a way a lot of the military manage to get the little bits they miss from home.

Also worth trying if there are a few of you in your location, see who's going home on leave next, explain what you need, see if they can get you anything back when they return. You never know the promise of payment in full and a cut of the first few bottles might be enough to persuade someone.

Finally if you're really coming up no luck, drop me a PM to make arrangements, as long as the post office are willing to accept it, I could help post you a few bits here and there if you're really desperate.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back