From my recipe book

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Stephan

Reaction score
Hello I know I am new here and my brewing days are behind me but here is a recipe that served me well. It did win the 1984 national(pale ale) so some must found it OK.

7lb pale malt

6 oz crystal malt

9oz flaked maize

500g Muscovado sugar

2 oz goldings

2oz hallertau

The starter?-not sure,may have been from Worthington white shield but my notes do not say.

Cheers, and retrospective congratulations on your win!

I bet that was a very nice beer, and I suspect using a good cultured yeast was a significant factor?

Hello I know I am new here and my brewing days are behind me but here is a recipe that served me well. It did win the 1984 national(pale ale) so some must found it OK.

7lb pale malt

6 oz crystal malt

9oz flaked maize

500g Muscovado sugar

2 oz goldings

2oz hallertau

The starter?-not sure,may have been from Worthington white shield but my notes do not say.

I assume this is for 5 gallons? OG around 1.040?

Very early 80s. Maize and Muscovado sugar de rigeur, 115g of hops reflects the hop quality in those days. I've said before, that when I returned to brewing I was surprised at how few hops are used nowadays. Was always yeast cultured from White Shield or Guinness. The former has changed the yeast strain (apparently), while the latter no longer has live yeast in it.

Could I please draw the attention of Mr Clibbit to the use of Hallertau hops :party:

Thanks for that. I wish I still had my note book from that period.

edit: Congratulations on the win too! :drink:

Latest posts

Back