Brewnight: Strawberry and Lime TC

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
There's a couple of calculations in the spreadsheet I sent you a link for, which is probably the easiest way to work it out for yourself if you want to alter the recipe.

Or is is a specific question you're wanting an answer for, ie if I want to increase ABV by x% what do I do etc...

Happy to help if I can :drink::drink:

There's a couple of calculations in the spreadsheet I sent you a link for, which is probably the easiest way to work it out for yourself if you want to alter the recipe.

Or is is a specific question you're wanting an answer for, ie if I want to increase ABV by x% what do I do etc...

Happy to help if I can :drink::drink:

Cheers Roddy but I can't remember the spreadsheet you sent lol.

Great thread this one roddy,

Quick question about the pectolase, is it 100% nesessary or will it just result in a cloudier brew if not used?

Cheers

Cheers buddy 😀

Dunno about the pectolase mate, I've just been in the habit of putting it in so don't know how much difference it actually makes haha...

Ie I've not made a cider without it so far

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

Just signed up to this forum after seeing this recipe. Sounds and looks like it could be a great summer drink.

I've bought all the ingredients as per Roddy's post. (Lowicz currently in Lidl for 99p). I'm thinking of adding a two Vanilla beans and increase the Limes to 8.

I'd like to get this cider to around 8% Abv. So would I just add more dextrose in from the offset? 500g extra?

Also you said you primed with the Lowicz as well Roddy. Did you just chuck a whole bottle into the secondary before bottling?

Just signed up to this forum after seeing this recipe. Sounds and looks like it could be a great summer drink.

I've bought all the ingredients as per Roddy's post. (Lowicz currently in Lidl for 99p). I'm thinking of adding a two Vanilla beans and increase the Limes to 8.

I'd like to get this cider to around 8% Abv. So would I just add more dextrose in from the offset? 500g extra?

Also you said you primed with the Lowicz as well Roddy. Did you just chuck a whole bottle into the secondary before bottling?

Nice one matey...

If you are using my 25L recipe, then to increase ABV to around 8%, you could

1. Add 1100g of ordinary granulated sugar to the mixture at the start (8.06%), or
2. Increase the AJ to 18L and add 750g of sugar (8.03%), or
3. Increase the AJ to 21L and add 400g of sugar (8.01%)

I would be inclined to add more AJ rather than increase it all with sugar, this will cost a few quid more, but the more apple the better. I only put water in mine to keep the abv down a bit, so I can throw more than a few back without having to lie (fall) down :lol:

Priming I use 400ml of the Lowicz, so putting the first 40ml in the primary ferment. That was nice and fizzy but not overly so (so it fizzes over when pouring etc...). You could probably get away with putting a whole bottle in, but better to be slightly under carbed until you see what works best for you, I reckon.

Nice one matey...

If you are using my 25L recipe, then to increase ABV to around 8%, you could

1. Add 1100g of ordinary granulated sugar to the mixture at the start (8.06%), or
2. Increase the AJ to 18L and add 750g of sugar (8.03%), or
3. Increase the AJ to 21L and add 400g of sugar (8.01%)

I would be inclined to add more AJ rather than increase it all with sugar, this will cost a few quid more, but the more apple the better. I only put water in mine to keep the abv down a bit, so I can throw more than a few back without having to lie (fall) down :lol:

Priming I use 400ml of the Lowicz, so putting the first 40ml in the primary ferment. That was nice and fizzy but not overly so (so it fizzes over when pouring etc...). You could probably get away with putting a whole bottle in, but better to be slightly under carbed until you see what works best for you, I reckon.

Awesome. Thanks - for some reason I had bought 19 cartons of the lidl AJ you mentioned, so I've got spare AJ lying around anyway and will use extra dextrose i have.

One thing I noticed Roddy was that you posted this recipe again with pics on a separate thread and I noticed the AJ I bought was different to yours. Mines is also the Lidl Vitafit AJ but its the cloudy non concentrate carton version which is 99p per 1L. The label has it 9.0g of Sugar per 100ml. Does this make any difference to the calculation of how much extra sugar to use?

I'm sure it will mate, if the cloudy aj has 2% less sugar it will make a fair impact on the overall sugar content... plus I'm not sure how well cloudy aj will clear if you are bothered about a clear cider at the end..

So are you making the whole batch with the cloudy (9g/100ml) ? Sorry if I'm missing a trick here !😉

I'm sure it will mate, if the cloudy aj has 2% less sugar it will make a fair impact on the overall sugar content... plus I'm not sure how well cloudy aj will clear if you are bothered about a clear cider at the end..

So are you making the whole batch with the cloudy (9g/100ml) ? Sorry if I'm missing a trick here !😉

Aahh ****! When you mentioned Lidl Vitafit AJ in your original post. I went out and bought 19L of the cloudy version assuming it was the correct AJ. I also thought the 5g of Pectolase you mentioned was to help clear the cloudiness of the AJ. lol

I have just found the receipt actually so could potentially take them all back and swap them for the other AJ

Would you recommend me doing that rather than using what I've currently got?

Last edited:
Cheers Roddy. Used the 21L you suggested. Used the juice of 8 limes. Simmered the left over skins in some water and added that's to mix (hoping to release some of the lime oils)

I'll chuck in 2 vanilla bean pods into the mix after fermentation slows down.

Thanks again for the recipe and will let you know in a few weeks how it turns out.

IMAG0901.jpg

Nice one ash, be good to see if it comes out as well as I'm remembering ! Nice setup !

Yep. I'll add another glass shelf underneath.

Remove the glass and replace with a small square of 1/2" or 5/8th" plywood flooring and drill some large holes in it to allow for better air circulation, the glass shelf you have there the FV is probably resting slightly on the motor housing which looking at the bend in the glass atm is the only thing saving it. I've had fridge glass shatter before and it will give way without any indication and as its toughened it will go into a million pieces.

Just did a 1 week hydrometer reading and its come down to 1012 from OG of 1063.

Still foaming going on in the vessel. Did a taste test and its more like a strong acidy kind of strawberry wine?! Is this normal at this early stage of fermentation?

I can still feel the acidity in the back of my throat, 10 mins after drinking the sample.

Just did a 1 week hydrometer reading and its come down to 1012 from OG of 1063.

Still foaming going on in the vessel. Did a taste test and its more like a strong acidy kind of strawberry wine?! Is this normal at this early stage of fermentation?

I can still feel the acidity in the back of my throat, 10 mins after drinking the sample.

that's hella acidic!

Probably heavy on the lime juice, less is more on this brew I think

Back