Coopers Brew A IPA

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Mine has finally stopped bubbling after 7 days. .the recipe calls for 25g each of citra and cascade. ..I also have centennial. ..should I put some of these in ,up the hop or just as it says?

Cheers

Clint

day 15 and I think its finished bubbling this morning,gonna leave it in the conicle until Friday or Saturday before kegging,in the mean time ive had the new wilko hop and cheer going in the bucket for 4 days and also seems to have nearly finished

Day 12...I've just sterilised the hop bag and weight spoons and weighed out the hops for dry hopping. All visible signs of fermentation gone,no bubbles or lid pressure, however on opening the lid the krausen is still there...I gave it a nudge and it collapsed and dissipated, the beer seems quite clear and no off smells. Took a fg at 1010, this gives me 4.6% or so. A closer look at the fg sample before drinking (seems ok) I can see a steady stream of micro bubbles rising in the tube..so I wonder if it has finished..I'll hop it anyway and test again in 4/5 days.

Cheers

Clint

kegged mine yesterday on day 17 got it down to 1008 from a 1054 OG so seemingly 6% ABV,brewed straight to see how good it is first before pimping the next one if I do buy one again

Hiya G
Did you brew to 23l? Funny how SG varies as does fg...wonder if it's dodgy fv markings for volume, water quality or pitching temps and yeast attenuation?

Cheers

Clint

Hiya G
Did you brew to 23l? Funny how SG varies as does fg...wonder if it's dodgy fv markings for volume, water quality or pitching temps and yeast attenuation?

Cheers

Clint
yeah 23 Litres got 1054 down to 1008 on the hydrometer but the refactometer which I think is a dud one said 10.6 brix down to 4.5.i don't know why I keep doing the brix as I trust the hydrometer over it everytime

I see you didn't start it until the 28th last month that's only 10 days mine was really a 12 day bubbling after starting around 48 hours of pitching the yeast mine was 2.9 kg of fermentables including the can,im only mildly interested in abv anyway as long as its 4.5 upwards im ok

I was not very impressed with the first Brew A IPA I did, so I decided to do something different to the second and last one in my store, and that itself came with a twist. I shan't buy another of these kits even if my kit tweak turns out OK.
I decided to make up a dark ale/porter type with the kit using all the stuff I usually put into my Coopers stouts (except for the stout kit itself) plus a grain steep.

Wot I used...
- 1 x Brew A kit can
- 500g dextrose (would have preferred golden syrup but I'm using up my dextrose store)
- 500g DME
- 100g dark brown muscavado sugar
- 3 measures of strong ground coffee made up as a steep in a cafetiere
- 100g crystal malt and 250g chocolate malt (not used this before) in a 40 minute steep followed by a liquor boil for 20 mins
- made up to about 20.5 litres, OG 1.047
- pitched with kit yeast at 20*C and kept in my water bath at 19*C

The twist.... the brew showed no signs of starting after 24 hours so I concluded the kit yeast was duff in spite of being well within date. This sort of bears out what others on here have said about this kit yeast. So I repitched with a spare Wilko Ale yeast I had and the lock started bubbling after 2 hours. But the good thing is those nice people at the Home Brew Shop have agreed straight away to send me a replacement yeast :thumb:

When its finished I intend to do a hop tea with 25g Challenger and then chuck that in for a few days. Why Challenger? It's because that's what Burton Bridge use in their stouts and porters and I had some in my store.

Will update when it gets to drinking this concoction.

I bottled one of these three weeks ago. I made it with 1.5 kilos of light dme and some dextrose I had left over maybe 200g. I dry hopped with the hops from a failed razorback ipa. I left the hops in too long nine days, it tasted far too strong on early tastes but is now starting to mellow into a nice pint.

I bottled one of these three weeks ago. I made it with 1.5 kilos of light dme and some dextrose I had left over maybe 200g. I dry hopped with the hops from a failed razorback ipa. I left the hops in too long nine days, it tasted far too strong on early tastes but is now starting to mellow into a nice pint.
The impact of a dry hop usually fades with time. My experience is that after about four months on it is barely noticeable.

My porter style beer derived from a can of this kit sort of worked in the end (see post 32 above). It was a bit raw to start with but after about three months has mellowed to be a fairly good pint. If anyone has a can of Brew A that they regret buying why not have a go? There's plenty worse out there :whistle:

Did this last month with brew enhancer, and dry hoped for 6 days with 50 g cascade. Used lidl bottled water.
It's been in the bottle only one week, and is really nice.

Have nt done a kit in over a year, but having just moved to Norwich I'm a bit short on time. Really pleased I did.

I can imagine that without the hops it would be bland, but I love cascade as a dry hop, and I am happy with the the result. Cheers Martin

i have this one in bottles at the moment, been maturing for about 2 months. when i brewed it i used an extra can of extra light liquid malt i had lying around. its turned out very dark,looks like a ruby ale rather than an IPA. i brewed it so 20L like i do with most of my brews and dry hopped it with 20g of Simcoe. Very bland in my opinion..the Simcoe doesn't seem to have come through...it's far more malty than hoppy like an IPA should be. Its not great but its not totally awful either. I might try brewing it straight up with no additions in the future just as a comparison. but i'm not overly impressed with this kit for now.

Cracked a bottle a last night and have to say this is lovely! Very impressed with it. No HB twang, Citra could of been a bit more pungent, but still very enjoyable and not too malty.

Glad I've got at least one Christmas brew that's a winner!:thumb:

Back