BrewFanatic's Red Grape & Cherry

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BrewFanatic

Reaction score
Started another one. More of a red wine this time.

1ltr Welch's Purple Grape juice
1ltr Tesco's Cherry Juice
750g Sugar
Mug of 3 stewed TBAGS
1tsp Pectalose
1/4tsp Citric Acid
1tsp Young's Super Wine Yeast
1tsp Youngs Nutrient

Starting SG was 1.086. Should work out to be about 10-11% when finished.

It's already bubbling nicely after just 2 hours.

Bought about 20 litres of different juices for under 18 quid. Makes double the amount of wine a kit can, and tastes far better too.

Very interested to see how this turns out.

Bottled this at the weekend. Got 5 bottles and it's not as dark as I expected. More of a deep rose colour. It tastes 'ok' but I think it's more to do with the possibility of me not being too keen on the cherry flavour.

If you haven't already made this its well worth a try.

Rosé wine (A forum favourite)

1 litre Red grape juice.

1 litre Apple Juice.

800g Sugar.

1 tsp Tannin or a mug of very strong black tea. (3 bags stirred every couple of minutes as you put the rest of the ingredients together)

1 tsp Yeast (i use youngs super wine yeast compound)

1 tsp Yeast Nutrient.

1 tsp Pectolase.

1 tsp Glycerine. (optional)

1 tsp citric acid or juice of one lemon. (optional)

IDShot_225x225.jpg
5051413484562_280_IDShot_3.jpeg

I saw that. I'm just trying to find red grape juice. I only have an asda tesco or aldi within reach. I have only found ( and bought ) purple grape juice not sure if it's the same?

Asda have the red grape juice at £1.25 or 3 for £3.

Sent from my SM-N910F using Tapatalk

I have just searched and found these all of which i have used in the past.

ASDA -

asda.jpg

TESCO -

tesco.jpg

ICELAND -

iceland.jpg

The iceland juice looks interesting because it's so cheap.

The iceland juice looks interesting because it's so cheap.

Grab it while its on offer, its my favourite RGJ its the darkest of the ones we have tried and seemed to have more RGJ taste.

I just stocked up on 3l of asda rgj yesterday but next time il try the iceland one.

Do you mean a red kit?

If you mean red by using juice it doesn't work it comes out like a rose wine.

Yeh I mean as in juice. I have an apple RGJ and tesco ruby fruits batch on. It's red but not quite deep red like a red wine is. Tasty though

I've yet to find a good red wine kit so was wondering if there was a good juice wine that makes a deep red? What about RGJ and blackcurrant? Or blackberries

Yeh I mean as in juice. I have an apple RGJ and tesco ruby fruits batch on. It's red but not quite deep red like a red wine is. Tasty though

I've yet to find a good red wine kit so was wondering if there was a good juice wine that makes a deep red? What about RGJ and blackcurrant? Or blackberries

Add sloes hmmm a few blackberries or even elderberries to give a good colour with body to the juice. But will take longer to condition, lucky to get ready to drink using real fruit. Come to the darkside - country wines :twisted:

I've got a RGJ/Blackcurrant/Elderberry WOW on the go, just racked last night and it's like a proper red (can't see through it)... had a bit of a mare with the berries though, tastes alright so far tho.... recipe in another thread on this forum.

Will be bottling in a few days, adding finings tonight

f0739e8f298d49c2b3fd291d54a9a644.jpg

I've made a few juice wines with welch's purple grape and they usually, but not always, dependent on juices used, come out a darker red than most but I didn't think the flavour was as nice with PGJ as apple n RGJ.

wows.jpg

Do you think some of the colour from the wines are lost with camden addition, bleaching some of the anthocyanidin or other pigment chemical? Did notice a dramatic colour change with my rose petal wine after adding a camden, the recipe didn't mention adding one but hadn't hit 0.990.

Latest posts

Back