Dried Elderflower wine

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tau

Landlord.
Reaction score
Used Youngs dried elderflowers, not particularly strong in smell so I doubled my 1 tsp to 2 tsp of dried flowers and into 2 tea bag tea. Poured the tea over a kilo of sugar and dissolved sugar wth a boiling water top up. Then poured 1ltr of waitrose pressed white grape juice (145g sugar content), couldn't be bothered taking og. Added youngs super yeast compound, 1tsp of wilkos yeast nutirent and 1/2 tsp of citric acid and 1/2 tsp of pectolase. Then added juice of 2 small lemons to each dj.

3 dj's done. Fermenting.

Have you made this one before Tau ? Just 1L of juice and then tea and water with the rest mentioned ?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Have you made this one before Tau ? Just 1L of juice and then tea and water with the rest mentioned ?

Yes, but used a different brand of dried flowers which had a deep elderflower smell, these didn't. Previously used tin of youngs white concentrate and have made with 250g of sultanas liked both. @razor - ingredients for each dj batch, so a ltr of white juice in each equivalent to 240/220g of white grape concentrate or 250g of sultanas. Juice of 2 lemons etc in each gallon. 3 seperate dj batches, tea was normal tea, no bush in this :)

Yes, but used a different brand of dried flowers which had a deep elderflower smell, these didn't. Previously used tin of youngs white concentrate and have made with 250g of sultanas liked both. @razor - ingredients for each dj batch, so a ltr of white juice in each equivalent to 240/220g of white grape concentrate or 250g of sultanas. Juice of 2 lemons etc in each gallon. 3 seperate dj batches, tea was normal tea, no bush in this :)

That makes more sense :lol:

Racked the 3 dj's yesterday, strained off the flowers onto a crushed camden in each (no redbush in these). Just a subtle taste of elderflower just right a nice white. Will leave to clear naturally, which they were most of the way there today.

Bottled the first dj of this and was just right for my palate, drinkable now will leave a little while - probably until Friday lol

Put another 2 dj's on of this, but slightly different, ingredient for each: 2 tsp of youngs dried elderflower in hot water. 1 tsp of powder tannin. 1 kilo of sugar juice of 2 medium lemons 1/2 tsp of citric acid 3/4 tsp of Wilko yeast nutrient 1 tsp of youngs super yeast compound 1 tin of youngs white grape concentrate Fermenting away already.

Just racked onto a camden both dj's. Think with the dried flowers I have will add an extra tsp to the next batch. Was a bit lazy should have racked last week or week before to get flowers out. Taste ok though.

Great thread. I've never made a wine but I love elderflower so might try and copy one of these, if I ever don't have my DJs full of beer experiments!

Bottled the last 2 dj's today, got off my backside finally.

Knocked up 2 dj's a few weeks back slight changes as the dried flowers have aged a bit.

dj1

1 tablespoon Dried elderflower
840g sugar
1 tin of wgj (160g sugar content)
1 tsp tannin powder, citric acid and wilkos yeast nutirent.
1 tsp of youngs super yeast compound.

Dj2

as above but with 2 tablespoons of dried elderflowers.

Both look ready to rack and seem to have completed, will keep updated.

I've recently started making elderflower waaahn for the missus - it's her new favourite. I get the elderflowers from Spices On The Web, about £3.70 for 100g, which is the amount I use for 4 gallons. Convenient cos I get chillis and lots of other curry essentials whilst I'm at it. Along with the elderflowers I use 2ltr apple juice, 4kg sugar, 8 tea bags and 250g mashed sultanas. She thinks it's amazingly brilliant but I think there's too many elderflowers in there. Pah, what would a beer slob like me know anyway?

Well racked off the flowers today onto a camden, both dj's and both complete. The first with a tablespoon was about right to my taste the other with 2 tablespoons of flowers was strong in flavour and smell but not too cats p*ss, a bit of variety is the spice of life as they say.

Yet another two gallons of this started, went for 1tbs and 1 tsp of dried flowers soaked in boiling water for 5-10 mins and strained flowers onto sugar in dj.
Normally just throw the flowers in the dj with hot water to dissolve the sugar, although finer bits of the flowers got through sieve in the end will save me a racking.
Did on 18.10.17
1tbs & 1 tps of dried elderflowers.
880g sugar
1 ltr wgj (waitrose)
1/2 tsp wilko yeast nutrient and pectolase (hardly worth putting in)
1 tsp tannin and citric acid.
1 tsp Youngs super yeast compound, fermenting away.

Latest posts

Back