Just been gifted 1.5kg of home grown rhubarb. Guess who's making rhubarb wine this we

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Rhubarb Wine

To make 1 gallon

2kg Rhubarb

1.4kg Sugar

2tsp Pectolase

1tsp All purpose wine yeast

1tsp Yeast nutrient

Method

Wash and cut the rhubarb into chunks, freeze overnight and then the next day defrost in a bucket or FV.

When it has defrosted add the sugar and leave for 24 - 36 hours.

Strain the rhubarb liquor into a demi-john, add some cold water to the rhubarb and swill around to remove
all of the liquid - add this to the demijohn. Top the demi-john up with water - but only 3/4 fill as when
fermentation starts it may overflow!

Also add the pectolase, yeast and nutrient. Fit an airlock.

When the fermentation has slowed down top the demi-john up with cooled boiled water.

Rhubarb Wine

To make 1 gallon

2kg Rhubarb

1.4kg Sugar

2tsp Pectolase

1tsp Yeast nutrient

Method

Wash and cut the rhubarb into chunks, freeze overnight and then the next day defrost in a bucket or FV.
Strain the rhubarb liquor into a demi-john, add some cold water to the rhubarb and swill around to remove
all of the liquid - add this to the demijohn. Top the demi-john up with water - but only 3/4 fill as when
When the fermentation has slowed down top the demi-john up with cooled boiled water.

I added the zest of two oranges and juice of four to the defrosted rhubarb as i have made a tasty rhubarb and orange cordial before (and drank it with vodka!!)

It`s been fermenting like crazy since i put it on - must have been sunday night - still not even a second between bubbles on the airlock.

Awesome - thanks Chippy !

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

All credit to the OP - rickthebrew who posted it here in 2009.

To make 1 gallon

2kg Rhubarb

1.4kg Sugar

2tsp Pectolase

1tsp Yeast nutrient

Method

picked and washed rhubarb

Rhubarb20picked.jpg

after chopping and freezing overnight - defrosted in a large pan

Frozen20rhubarb.jpg

sugar in.

Sugar20in.jpg

after 36 hours strained into DJ

Strain.jpg

pic of first rack - really cleared well!!

1st20rack.jpg

nice and clear too - tastes good already!!

wine1.jpg

Any recipes tried and proven ?

use a german wine yeast if possible it will improve this wine , also half and half or a percentage of sour green apples apples makes a excellent wine

A chap on the allotment recommends a very similar recipe but with the inclusion of a couple of inches of grated root ginger and a Camden tablet.
I did the recipe out of river cottage booze. It differs in that the rhubarb is macerated in the sugar for 5 days then the liquid poured off. The og was 1.100 and produced something akin to a pudding wine. Very pleasant. This year looking to let it fine on its own because it did have a lovely rhubarb pink tinge.

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

My tried and tested recipe here
http://www.thehomebrewforum.co.uk/showpost.php?p=599870&postcount=26
as you can see from the thread posts village brew loved it.

I prefer to eat the first rhubarb as the first flush in spring is always tender and juicy, I wait til later in the summer when its going hard and stringy for wine as its not so good for eating then, I made about 8 gals last year but slowly working my way through it.

Fining the wine will make it lose its lovely pink colour so I leave it to clear au natural.

I've always added precipitated chalk to drop the acid levels a bit. It's still tart but a little less aggressive than it otherwise would be.
If memory serves, it's a little like plum wine in that there tends to be a lot of pulp in the bottom of the DJ. It's been a while but I think I used bentinite to drop this.

Crikey lots of ways to do this:

1-Freeze and extract juice, per Chippy post
2- Boil , per cheapbrew recipe
3- CJJ Berry, dry steep in sugar for 24 hours to get juice.

Choices choices choices !

Crikey lots of ways to do this:

1-Freeze and extract juice, per Chippy post
2- Boil , per cheapbrew recipe
3- CJJ Berry, dry steep in sugar for 24 hours to get juice.

Choices choices choices !

I've only done method three where you use the sugar to extract the juice, first time we made it the wine was excellent, second time I stabilized too early and ended up with over sweet wine.

The rhubarb seems to be sulking this year after being moved to it's new home on the allotment so no idea if I'll have enough for a batch.

So here's the plan:
I've gone with option 2.
1 and 3 I'm planning on trying as said friend tells me more rhubarb will come.
So hopefully I can try all 3 methods and come back with my findings .

Latest posts

Back