First AG Effin oatmeal stout and elderberry stout

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

graysalchemy

Reaction score
Hi all

I am going to cross over to the Darkside next week (tuesday) :party: :party: . The mash tun is now pseudo shinney with its silver bubble wrap coat . I will be doing Aleman`s Effin Oatmeal stout. I have adjusted the recipe slightly to increase the OG.

Fermentable Colour lb: oz Grams Ratio
Pale Malt 5 EBC 22 lbs. 6.0 oz 10150 grams 75.8%
Oat Flakes 2.5 EBC 2 lbs. 2.9 oz 990 grams 7.4%
Roasted Barley 1350 EBC 1 lbs. 6.6 oz 640 grams 4.8%
Flaked Barley 0 EBC 3 lbs. 8.6 oz 1610 grams 12%

Hop Variety Type Alpha Time lb: oz grams Ratio
Bramling Cross Whole 6.3 % 90 mins 0 lbs. 4.3 oz 120 grams 100%

Final Volume: 55 Litres
Original Gravity: 1.053
Final Gravity: 1.014
Alcohol Content: 5.1% ABV
Total Liquor: 76.9 Litres
Mash Liquor: 33.5 Litres
Mash Efficiency: 75 %
Bitterness: 33.7 EBU
Colour: 126 EBC

I thought I would try and and make an elderberry stout with 2 gallons of the above. I tried this clicky a few years ago. I noticed that it says the the grain bill included roasted oats and barley which fits with Alemans recipe. Also I believe brambling Cross has a blackcurrant and spice flavour which I thought would go well with the elderberry.

There isn't much out there on elderberry stout but I did find this clicky so I am going to add the juice from 200g of elderberries per gallon. I plan to add this post boil. I was going to crush the berries to extract the juice and then boil to sterilize. I may also add some demerara sugar or dry malt extract to increase the OG I would like these to be 6-7%. I am only doing 2 gallons just in case it turns out kak :sick: . Only problem if I enjoy it I will have to wait until 2011 to brew it again :( :(

Has any one tried making elderberry stout or fruit beers? I would be grateful for some input.

Cheers

:cheers:

Alistair

Alistair,
Aleman sent me a revised recipe as he wasn't happy with the one posted in recipes.

3100g Pale Malt - Maris Otter
375g Barley - Flaked
375g Flaked Oats
200g Barley - Roasted
250 Crystal 12o EBC
250g Brown Malt

Done them both, while the first was ok, it lacked body. The second is still fermenting but there is NO WAY it lacks body.
If you have any questions send him a pm, I'm sure he will tell you more.

Ps. of course you're barking mad :lol:

Thanks for that I haven`t got any brown malt I have got chocolate will that do as a a substitute?

Thanks for confirming my insanity many have suspected it. It takes time to admit it to yourself I now feel alot better.

Alistair

Just Got some brown malt could only get 3kg locally at great expense but hey ho this will hopefully become the house stout.

AG

I Have changed my recipe as per Cusswords suggestion (all credit to aleman)

Pale Malt 5 EBC 18 lbs. 6.8 oz 8360 grams 68.1%
Oat Flakes 2.5 EBC 2 lbs. 3.7 oz 1010 grams 8.3%
Roasted Barley 1350 EBC 1 lbs. 3.0 oz 540 grams 4.4%
Flaked Barley 0 EBC 2 lbs. 3.7 oz 1010 grams 8.3%
Crystal Malt 130 EBC 1 lbs. 7.7 oz 670 grams 5.5%
Brown Malt 150 EBC 1 lbs. 7.7 oz 670 grams 5.5%

Hop Variety Type Alpha Time lb: oz grams Ratio
Bramling Cross Whole 6.3 % 90 mins 0 lbs. 3.9 oz 110 grams 100%

Final Volume: 50 Litres
Original Gravity: 1.053
Final Gravity: 1.014
Alcohol Content: 5.1% ABV
Total Liquor: 70.3 Litres
Mash Liquor: 30.7 Litres
Mash Efficiency: 75 %
Bitterness: 33.7 EBU
Colour: 144 EBC

I have also increased the OG to 1.053 :grin: . Any suggestions welcome.

Cheers

Alistair

Thanks for the advice aleman. One question I have increased the the OG by just proportionally increasing all the grains. I realize that perhaps i should have only increased the pale malt and not the others. Any thoughts aleman?

Alistair

graysalchemy said:
One question I have increased the the OG by just proportionally increasing all the grains.
You need to increase the OG proportionally with all the grains . . . I scaled a recipe this weekend from a 40L batch to a 4000L batch if I had kept the dark malts at the same amount it would have been a tad paler than we wanted.

Thanks for that Aleman. Anythoughts on adding elderberies to a couple of gallons?

Alistair

Back