Crossmyloof mead yeast

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ajhutch

Landlord.
Reaction score
Has anyone used this? Any particular feedback in terms of temperature, nutrition, esters etc? Also particularly interested if anyone has a feel for the alcohol tolerance. Cheers!

Has anyone used this? Any particular feedback in terms of temperature, nutrition, esters etc? Also particularly interested if anyone has a feel for the alcohol tolerance. Cheers!

Were have you been?? theres a something like 3000 post thread on this stuff ask chippie to direct you . all there stuff is bang on.?

I have some ready to bottle. It cleared really well after fermentation finished but didn't end up dry. I willl measure the FG and let you know in a few days. Have not tasted it yet. I free fermented in the airing cupboard but it didn't get above 25c.

I have some ready to bottle. It cleared really well after fermentation finished but didn't end up dry. I willl measure the FG and let you know in a few days. Have not tasted it yet. I free fermented in the airing cupboard but it didn't get above 25c.

Thanks, yeh it would be great to know your OG and FG to see what it's capable of. I had a message back from CML as well and they said they tend to think meads made with it finish medium sweet. They said they use it for 1.095-1.010 or thereabouts.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My notes were not very detailed but as far as i remember i followed their recipe which was 1.5kg honey. I added lemon juice, raisins and an apple. When fermentation finished i added an extra 200g honey. FG is 1030 and did not take an OG. Its sweet but my Mrs likes it. Other yeasts (wilko i think or Gervin) would easily eat up 1.5kg in my experience and result in a dry mead. As i said though its perfectly clear. Have a feeling the taste is slightly different to previous batches with other yeast but hard to say. I don't have a sweet tooth and have just drunk a Stout.

Great info, thanks @BeerCat. I think you'll be very much in the range they said in their response to me in terms of both OG and FG. According to BeerSmith I think the 200g of honey you added will have given you about 13 gravity points, so you probably finished at 1.017 before that. I've got a fair idea of where I should be aiming my OG with this yeast now which is exactly what I hoped for. Much appreciated.

Did a small quick batch of mead with CML yeast, it went from 1.088 to 0.996 in about two weeks, another two weeks to 'mature' and its tasting rather nice.

I have used it twice. Clears quickly but does not attenuate as much as say GV4 or even wilko wine yeast. I prefer a high alcohol yeast personally that i can back sweeten.

Apologies i didn't realise i had already answered. :doh:

I've got three DJs of mead/melomel using this yeast that need some attention at some point. Fortunately they reward "strategic patience" (translation: laziness)! Fermentation was quick, less than two weeks as I recall. I racked and left it another few weeks before stabilising. I can't remember the finishing gravity but I think they fermented right out. They've cleared nicely over a few months to the point that I may not even fine them, though if I do need to backsweeten I'll leave them longer and potentially fine as I guess the extra honey would cloud them a little. I should probably try and get them bottled in the next month or so and crack one or two at Christmas.

I've got 2 gallons of straight mead I made with CML mead yeast in the kitchen too, both were racked for the 1st time a few weeks ago. I need to take an OG though to comment on how well it's worked. I did have a quick taste, and judged that it needs maturing for a while as was a bit warm... lol

I did however make a note that it "went" for a lot longer than the Lalvin 71b-1122 did in the vanilla or ginger metheglin that I made. I've since made 3 gallons of blackberry melomel with the Lalvin, and this has gone and gone and gone. Probably the difference is that I used Tronozymol, and topped up the honey when it slowed down a bit (as opposed to putting it all in at the start). The CML mead yeast includes nutrient in the sachet, so should be able to go longer compared to making a batch with no nutrient (that said, I had used Youngs yeast nutrient in the vanilla and the ginger, but quality of nutrient could be a factor).

Anyway, it certainly "tasted strong" though so to speak, kind of took my head off to be honest. I need to get an OG though to give a more objective opinion. ;) Another tasting would probably be good too. Been a bit pre-occupied brewing beer... lol

Back