Munich Variations

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Zephyr259

Landlord.
Reaction score
Hi folks,

I'm going to be using some munich malt soon but there seems to be some variation.

The German stuff from Weyermann comes in type 1 - EBC 12 - 18 and type 2 - EBC 20 - 25.

Crisp do a light at EBC 15 - 25 which is like the German dark and they do their own dark at EBC 40 - 50 which gets compared to a melanoidin by comparison charts.

Crisps data sheets say the dark can be used 5 - 15 % in malty beers (10 - 20% for the light) and up to 50% for bocks etc.

I was doing some colour checking of recipes and Crisps dark seems to get me closer but I'm concerned that it's more of an aromatic/melanoidin malt than an actual base malt. So I thought I'd ask if anyone has experience with these malts at all?

The spring beer I mad from GH's book had 500g munich in it, I got it from the LHBS and it was rated at 20L which mean it'd be the same as Crisp's dark. That beer attenuated way more than it should have (86% with a scottish yeast with average 70% mashed at 66C) and I wouldn't say it's particularly malty, but then the galaxy hops are probably smothering it a bit.

Thanks

I was wondering the same thing, haven't used munich 2 believe it is classed more of a speciality malt than a base malt.

Link doesn't work for me.:-(
I would also have a Google of any of Gordon Strongs mentions of Munich, he refers to it as 'the new crystal'

Thanks guys, I have a few plans for it, been looking at the Baltic Porter and Traditional Bock recipes in Greg Hughes' book, the former uses munich as the base malt then 2nd splits it 50:50 with pale malt. I'm also thinking of using it as a secondary base malt for a Scottish ale. Mostly just want to play with it a bit since i like malty beers.

Thanks for the forum link MyQul, it worked for me so must be transferred now. I did some googling but didn't get a lot of helpful info, that thread was handy and the link it had regarding briess munich 20L was also good. Sounds like the 20L / 40-50 EBC munich malts are essentially aromatic/melanoidin malts so should be used as a specialty malt in smaller quantities. Gonna buy the Weyermann malts, which makes sense, buy the German brand of a German style.

Thanks

Latest posts

Back